770 WABC history incl control board & PD

A look back at various radio stations

770 WABC history incl control board & PD

Postby RationalKeith » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 am

I mentionned the WABC 770 signal out of NYC in the “Old Joe” thread about CJJC Langley, here I’ll point to some other history at the http://www.musicradio77.com/ web site, views of how one supposedly successful station operated. You can dig for the exact links.
- the Bill Epperhart page describes how the board was set up and run for efficient tight on-air production. Note the remark that PD Rick Sklar believed in backup systems – not a “cheap manager” approach. (I suppose that’s an especially good approach with carts as I remember them. :-)
- the PD page (Rick Sklar) describes promotions and playlists, though its claims of very short playlists should be read in conjunction with Bill Epperhart’s page which seems to say the air personalities added to that and as well the station had a long flashback playlist.
- mention WCBS-FM, which may be the oldies station I heard when I spent a bit of time in NYC in the late 80s early 90s.

Of course with a listening audience as big as the population of WA state, and an area population greater than that of the entire NW US and Western Canada....... hey! we did well out here. ;-)]
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History