Looking for a really old radio show.

A look back at various radio stations

Looking for a really old radio show.

Postby Searchingthepast » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:36 am

I am looking for a radio program that would have aired on CHQR in the late 60's. The talk show host was Clem Blakeslee who worked for CHQR during the 1960's. I don't know the exact date but it would have been 68 or 69. The topic was "Autistic Children" and the the series I believe was called "The smoking gun". As I stated the moderator was Clem Blakeslee who was also a U of C history professor. Is there any place that I can go to access archives of radio programs which aired that many years ago? My parents, Margaret and Albert Shaw were the guest speakers.
Can anyone suggest where I could start to look for a transcript or an old archived copy of the program?
Thanks for any assistance.
Searchingthepast

Re: Looking for a really old radio show.

Postby jon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm

I'll let ex-CHQR employees talk to what the station has or had, in terms of archives.

But a quick Google, which should include anything in the Alberta Archives or UofC Archives, reveals that none of the series was kept in those two Archives.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Looking for a really old radio show.

Postby jon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Two more things.

Most shows in those days were not kept, even if they were pre-recorded. A pre-recorded show would be recorded in a studio earlier in the week, aired and the tape reused for next week's show.

Unless Clem Blakeslee was a packrat, it is unlikely that he or his family kept a full set of programs on tape. As I said previously, the University of Calgary would have either dumped or archived anything they had.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History