C-FUN Programming Schedule

A look back at various radio stations

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:04 pm

Does anyone out there have the C-FUN program lisitngs showing each DJs' time slot for the following periods?:

Late December 1962.

Late December 1963.

Or as close as possible to these times. I especially need the weekend listing.

I realize I might find this in the Library's newspaper archives but I thought somebody out there could save me the trip.

Having this info will assist me in identifying a few radio personalites from some audio clips that I'll soon be posting on my site.

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:45 am

Looks like I struck out on this one. To follow this up you might want to view my new post in the Airchecks and Jingles section.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:52 pm

VancouverTopFortyRadio wrote:Does anyone out there have the C-FUN program lisitngs showing each DJs' time slot for the following periods?:

Late December 1962.

Late December 1963.

Or as close as possible to these times.  I especially need the weekend listing.

Ok, I went to the library. And I found the Sun and Province don't have identical listings. So, here are the Province's. The typeset is obviously wrong on one of them so the actual hours are unclear.

SATURDAYS
6 - Al Jordan
12 - Red Robinson
6 - G. Cowie
8 - Tom Peacock
2 - sign off

SUNDAYS
9 - Bob Malcolm
12 - Frosty Forst
6 - Ronn Grimster
10:30 - Bill Ward's Doghouse

WEEKDAYS
6 - Al Jordan
9 - Problems Anonymous
10 - Ronn Grimster
2 - Frosty Forst
6 - Red Robinson
10 - Tom Peacock

SATURDAYS
4 - Ronn Grimster
6 - Al Jordan
11 - Red Robinson
9 - W. Fleming
10 - Jerry Landa

SUNDAYS
9 - Tom Peacock
2 - Frosty Forst
7 - Jerry Landa

WEEKDAYS
6 - Al Jordan
8:30 - Problems Anonymous
9 - Al Jordan
10 - Tom Peacock
2 - Frosty Forst
4:15 - Joe Kapp
4:30 - Frosty Forst
6 - Red Robinson
10 - Jerry Landa

The Province, Dec. 24/62, pg. 8, lists the first part of the countdown.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:47 pm

George Cowie of CJAV

The Bob Malcolm is most likely Rob Malcolm

W. Fleming is Willie Fleming of the Lions - I kid you not.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Most Interesting. I thank you for taking the time to do this. I must admit, however, the order of programming doesn't seem to match the order of voices in the Soundathon montages I posted (See Airchecks & Jingles section), so I have to puzzle on these for a while. Maybe I've IDed some of the voices incorrectly.

Among the many audio clips I recently received was a brief one of Willie Fleming, so seeing his name on the program list wasn't a complete surprise.

Thanks again
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:52 am

VancouverTopFortyRadio wrote: Most Interesting. I thank you for taking the time to do this. I must admit, however, the order of programming doesn't seem to match the order of voices in the Soundathon montages I posted (See Airchecks & Jingles section), so I have to puzzle on these for a while. Maybe I've IDed some of the voices incorrectly.

Among the many audio clips I recently received was a brief one of Willie Fleming, so seeing his name on the program list wasn't a complete surprise.

Thanks again

Well, the order of jocks isn't the same in the Province as it is in the Sun. I didn't write down everything, but here's the Sun for Dec. 1963 as a comparison:

SATURDAYS
8 - Al Jordan
8:30 - Harry Belafonte
8:45 - Frank Sinatra
9 - Al Jordan
11:15 - Swap and Shop
12 - Red Robinson
6 - Roy Jacques
6:15 - Robert Malcolm Classics
6:30 - Red Robinson
8 - Tom Peacock

See? Poor Jerry Landa isn't even listed. Maybe he with Wasserman and Hughie Watson at Isy's instead :)

And the listings are generic in the Sun - it has one listing representing Monday-Friday. I doubt everyone worked their regular shift on Christmas Day. Hmm. On second thought, considering how management operates...

The Sun listings also say 'Hootenany' is on weeknights at 11. I can't see the countdown fitting in if a country show was broadcast. So the paper just took their listings out of a template.

Just as a side note, I was surprised to see Fred at CJOR in 1963. I didn't know he worked there.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:39 am

How nice it was that Frank Sinatra and Harry Belafonte took the time every Saturday morning to commute to Vancouver to each do a 15-minute show on C-FUN!! That's what I call dedication!!

OK, seriously, they must have been short syncicated spots.

As for Jerry Landa, he was back with C-FUN some time during 1962 and I still think the unidentified voice #4 in the Soundathon #5 audio montage is his. Any chance of tracking Jerry down for a listen. Here's the link again.
Soundathon #5 Audio Montage

Fred Latremouille was indeed with CJOR for a while before C-FUN whisked him away. I only learned that recently myself and was as surprised as you. I will have more on this in a future post.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:30 am

I hate blowing the horn - but that kind of information about Fred is on

Gord Lansdell's http://www.vancouverbroadcasters.com under L

and

Pooch's http://www.bcradiohistory.com - under Bios
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History