Quadraphonic Broadcasting

A look back at various radio stations

Quadraphonic Broadcasting

Postby jon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:55 pm

An interesting discussion thread has been started on SOWNY.ca about Quadraphonic broadcasting. Developed at the end of the 1960s, using multiple FM subcarriers, some stations dabbled with it.

So far, the only Western station I've found that did any of it was KKHI-FM in San Francisco. And that was just for live local Opera coverage.

One poster thinks CKFM Toronto broadcast in Quad for a while. I'm not so sure as I don't recall the CRTC ever approving Quadraphonic FM broadcasting, which surely would have been required.

What I do recall is some West Coast progressive rock FM stations talking about Quad as if they were actually broadcasting it when, in fact, it was a hoax.

On the other hand, Quad LPs used to play just fine on normal stereo systems at home, so maybe a standard FM stereo station playing one of these same Quad LPs would deliver Quadraphonic sound to the speakers of a Quad home system connected to a standard FM stereo tuner.

Does anyone remember Quad?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Quadraphonic Broadcasting

Postby jon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:20 pm

An e-mail just arrived in my inbox, talking about CBU-FM and CBUF-FM getting together for a Quad broadcast in the early 1970s.

Amazing when you think about it, since CBUF-FM normally ran the mono Radio Canada AM network. I was wondering if they even ran the 19KHz multiplex carrier, then realized that they did quite a bit of local programming, which was undoubtedly in stereo.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:06 pm

For consumers, the big quad debate in the early seventies was all about "matrix" versus "discreet." Matrix was theoretically compatible with legacy 2-channel media like vinyl, tape and FM, but but was plagued by high inter-channel crosstalk which diluted the 4 channel effect. On the other hand, discreet -- with near ideal separation was available only on specially encoded discs (which required a specially designed stylus, phono cartridge and "demodulator" preamp) and 4 track/channel tapes as well. Those were the days ... Somewhere in my basement there's a barely used Sony SQ decoder packed in it's original box.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Hey Kids! Wanna know more about the "Quadraphonic Experience?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... in/674229/
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 am

KQIV 106.7 Lake Oswego, Oregon (in suburban Portland) was supposedly quad for awhile in the early 70's. Whether this was one of the "hoax" stations that Jon mentioned above is unknown. I did discover a tribute site for the station while doing a Google search:
http://www.rockininquad.com/

The station has had a multitude of formats and call letters over the years, currently KLTH (Oldies 106.7) owned by Clear Channel.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History