John Moore's CHLO Goes Rock

A look back at various radio stations

John Moore's CHLO Goes Rock

Postby jon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I've talked a bit about John L. Moore, first Program Director of CBE Windsor, and owner of CHLO St. Thomas. Here is an interesting story by Dave Mickie/Marsden of Toronto radio fame that tells how Rock and Roll first got played on CHLO St. Thomas. In the 1960s, I remember wondering how some of the smaller market Ontario stations ended up being Top 40. Now I know, at least about CHLO:

"After a year and a half of banging on radio station doors and sending out scores of tapes I got my first job - CFCO Chatham. Operator for the morning show, typing out music playlists and literally sweeping the floor. Three months. Jack Beardall, the station owner and the only person seemingly willing to hire me, had sold the station to Hildebrand who brought his own team. The new Program Director was named Sandy Hoyt and he fired everyone at the station except Frank Proctor.

At that point I had a big three months experience and went looking for a new gig. After a couple of months I found it. CHLO - St. Thomas. I was hired as a newsperson. After a few months I was offered the evening shift as a DJ. At the time CHLO played what was termed as Beautiful Music. Ray Conniff, Percy Faith etc.

After a few months of playing this music I became bored. I liked Rock and Roll!! One night I brought my own 45s in and started playing them. In attempt to match the Rock music David Mickie was born. (I was a fan of Biondi, therefore he was my influence)

I got away with that performance for about three weeks. Then John L. Moore - the owner - tuned in and almost had a cardiac. He fired me the next day. About a week later he called me at my little apartment in St. Thomas and asked me to come to a meeting. Turns out there had been significant phone calls and letters about 'where had Mickie disappeared to' - he hired me back. But this time he promised I could do whatever I wanted. ;-)

That was the turning point for CHLO. A station who later became a major rocker in the London/St. Thomas market. During that time a goofy young kid named Paul Skirownski (sp?) answered my phones and helped around the studio. When I left to go to CKEY I suggested to John L. Moore that he keep Paul around. Something about him said - radio. Today he is known as Paul Ski.

About a year after being hired back at CHLO - Walt Grealis (then a promo man for London Records) was in London working the promo at station level. He tuned in and had a listen. He visited the station and asked if I had ever thought about being in Toronto radio.

Two weeks later I got the big call from Gene Kirby, PD for CKEY. My dream had always been to work at CKEY. At first I thought Gene's call was a hoax. After three calls I finally took the bait and called him back. It really was HIM. Walt Grealis became my manager and a few weeks later I did my first show at CKEY.

Yep - with less than two years experience I made it to Davenport Road and CKEY. Back then one counted on having to have a minimum of seven years. I got lucky! ;-) "

courtesy: Rock Radio Scrapbook
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History