CKCK Regina

A look back at various radio stations

CKCK Regina

Postby Peggy Stewart » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Hello everybody!

Does anyone know what happened to the station records of CKCK Regina when it ceased operations? The first radio station in the Province of Saskatchewan as you know - the Archives of the City of Regina feel that the station's historical records may have been taken to the land fill, or if they survived, they may be in the hands of someone who used to work there, or their surviving family. If anyone has a suggestion for me, could they email me? Thanks very much!!

Peggy Stewart
http://www.radioladies.ca
Peggy Stewart

Re: CKCK Regina

Postby radiofan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Hopefully some history of CKCK survived and someone has it stored away..

It's amazing how many stations (or at least today's management people) really don't care about the station's past. Too much of this material is ending up in land fills and it's gone forever.

It's sad that many stations want nothing to do with their past because of a call letter or format change.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Sad but not surprising. However, since it sounds like it was the Regina archives she checked with, I have a couple of alternative suggestions: the Regina Public Library Prairie History Room has a handful of materials, including a CKCK promotional booklet from the mid-1950s. And the Saskatchewan Provincial Archives would have some material as well. I believe, in fact, they have a minute or so of silent film of CKCK's launch in 1922, shot by Dick Bird. Also, CK Television deposited all its old news film at the Provincial Archives, so who knows what's mixed in with that. She might also try CTV and the Leader-Post.

If it's personnel files and such that's she's after, Harvard managed the station during its final years, from 1998 to 2001, so there's a slight chance that such items went from the old Park Street studios to the Harvard building on Halifax Street. But Harvard has moved since then, slimming the odds even further. Rawlco owns the CKCK call letters, but I'm pretty sure they have nothing connected to the old station.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Now, if there's one person in the world who knows, it's Doug Alexander. He currently works for Access Communications.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Peggy Stewart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks very much! DRMusic - I will follow up on your Clues - I have contacted the Archives of the Province of Saskatchewan and will hear from them in a few days - it takes a few days for them to get through all their email inquiries.

The mystery person I am looking for was named FERN NOLLES. She was one of the very first Canadian female radio broadcasters on the air with a regular show - in the early 1920s, over CKCK. She is mentioned by two writers - Knowlton Nash in "The Swashbucklers", and Saskatchewan radio historian Wayne Schmalz, in "On Air: Radio in Saskatchewan" . However, neither of these men were able to find out anything more about her other than her name, her station and the fact that she was on the air in the early 1920s. But then - their focus was different from mine.

There was a journalist at the time called Knowles - one of the archivists suggested that Fern Nolles was related and merely changed the spelling of her last name for on-air use.

Anyway, thanks once again for all of your suggestions - I very much appreciate your help with my sleuthing for the book.

Peggy Stewart.
Peggy Stewart

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:29 am

Peggy Stewart wrote:There was a journalist at the time called Knowles - one of the archivists suggested that Fern Nolles was related and merely changed the spelling of her last name for on-air use.

Knowles ... Nolles ....

Seems like that wouldn't have made much difference on air (at least to my ears).
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Good luck in your efforts... tracking down information that old can't be easy. The library's Prairie History Room has an index and an obituary listing for the Leader-Post and its predecessors that may be of help as well.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History