NWPR launches new jazz station

Welcome to our friends from the Seattle area who lost their radio message board in early December ...

NWPR launches new jazz station

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

North West Public Radio (NWPR) based out of central Wash., has just launched it's third programming service - a jazz station! New FM signal KJEM 89.9 located at WSU, will put a class A signal into Pullman WA/Moscow ID. Although a website has yet to be implemented, a stream is already available to hear the new service. KJEM is to be operated by students of WSU under supervision of the professional staff of NWPR. With NWPR operating an NPR news-talk and all-classical service, it's hoped that KJEM will eventually be available via FM translators or as HD secondary signals via existing NWPR stations. This brings to 4 the number of jazz stations now operating in Wash. state (3 campus-based; 1 commercial)

NWPR press release:

http://nwpr.org/post/nwpr-launches-jazz-station

here is the stream link for WinAmp/iTunes:

http://134.121.234.129:8000/NWPRKJEM.m3u
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Re: NWPR launches new jazz station

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 pm

I am listening to KJEM as I write this and find that the long music sweeps are ideal for relaxation or taking on other tasks with the audio in the background. The music does not distract, it enhances what one wants to do, (for me it was reading a book prior to writing this post). The instrumental and vocal numbers cover a wide range of stiles. The music flows nicely together I have enjoyed the last hour or so of almost non-stop music. The station's format is certainly worth another listen.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 am

I think KJEM is in "Auto DJ" mode until fully operational. The FM signal has just signed on in Pullman. Station personnel including DJs will be students from WSU's broadcast program, under supervision of NWPR staff. I'm aware there are plans to do live concerts featuring student jazz ensembles/groups in their region, plus add the tip-notch jazz programming from NPR and APR. Although nice as an automated jazz stream, I look forward to a full schedule of programming from this newest NWPR service

ps - I sure do miss pianist Marian McPhartland's excellent weekly jazz show on NPR - there's this big hole in weekend NPR jazz programming that never got filled! :glasses7:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:I think KJEM is in "Auto DJ" mode until fully operational.

Not quite auto DJ ....but close...a network feed of some type.
There was an announcement about 10 after the hour stating that "you are listening to the greatest jazz in the world from jazz 24" .

I did a search and found "Jazz24org " and the audio is in sync with KJEM I have both audio streams running on my laptop and it will be interesting to hear how the breaks are handled on each stream. I just had the answer... KJEM ran a 15sec ID at 20 past the hour .... the Jazz.org audio stream had dead for the 15 seconds the music continued on both streams after the ID.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Listening very early this AM (pre-6 O Dark) the voice I heard was Mary McCann, the very busy swing announcer for NPR's long-standing jazz giant, KPLU in Seattle.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 pm

I have to correct my comments slightly -I shut down the Jazz24 player without realizing i had done so....

I got both players on for the 40 min after the hour ID and both ran their own station IDs and then went back to music in sync
Sorry for the error above.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am

Until KJEM has all of it's programming together, it is rebroadcasting KPLU's "Jazz24.org" web-only station. Amongst other offerings, they plan to carry long-time Seattle jazz host Jim Wilke's weekend overnight "Jazz After Hours" program, making it available to virtually all of Wash. state :toohappy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle/Tacoma and Western Washington