KRPI Towers now a Vancouver Sun Front Page story

Welcome to our friends from the Seattle area who lost their radio message board in early December ...

KRPI Towers now a Vancouver Sun Front Page story

Postby radiofan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:39 am

Protesters take aim at Point Roberts towers

By Mike Hager, Vanews Canadaouver Sun November 18, 2013

People on both sides of the Point Roberts border are escalating a campaign to stop large transmission towers from being erected in the small U.S. community for a Richmond radio station.

A group is planning a public protest for Dec. 1 against the five 45-metre towers after the proposal failed to mention Canadians living as close as a kilometre and a half away.

Members of the Cross Border Coalition to Stop the Radio Towers say they worry the towers are so close they could cause blanket interference that could affect the radios, TVs, phones and baby monitors of up to 20,000 Tsawwassen residents.

"We're objecting to the fact that in their application process nowhere did they mention that Tsawwassen would be across the border and be impacted," said retired engineer James Ronback, an opponent of the towers set to transmit radio station KRPI, also known as Sher-E-Punjab AM 1550.

The towers are awaiting approval from Whatcom County after being OK'd last year by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Studies showed no adverse environmental impacts to Whatcom County or its population.

The proposal was approved by Industry Canada because it wouldn't interfere with any other Canadian stations, but Ronback said the federal department didn't consider the blanket interference the towers could create for him and his neighbours.

Andrew Skotdal, a consultant for the radio station, said the Tsawwassen residents weren't included in site maps and proposals because KRPI was following the rules of Whatcom County, under which it was only obligated to consider residents of that jurisdiction.

Skotdal said fears of blanket radio interference are misplaced and that "a certain amount of reality has been lost in this process." He noted that CBC's AM 690 broadcasts an arguably stronger signal from similar towers near the homes of northwestern Steveston.

KRPI will hire an engineer to modify or replace - free of charge - any Tsawwassen residents' appliances and devices affected by radio interference, he said.

Whatcom County's planning department is expected to release its recommendation on the proposal early next year.

Suzanne Rosser, a Point Roberts resident, said she will keep drumming up opposition to the towers because the FCC and Industry Canada ignored her neighbours to the north.

"Neither one of these institutions looked at a map and said, 'Hey what about these people?' With files from Sandor Gyarmati, The Delta Optimist

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Protes ... z2l0o2S2bJ
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: KRPI Towers now a Vancouver Sun Front Page story

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

Andrew Skotdal, consultant for the radio station wrote:KRPI will hire an engineer to modify or replace - free of charge - any Tsawwassen residents' appliances and devices affected by radio interference.
:tail
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

I wonder if this techie will be able to replace my fillings if I start hearing KRPI in my head....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:I wonder if this techie will be able to replace my fillings if I start hearing KRPI in my head....

I happened to tune to 1550 mid-afternoon Sunday, and the programme host was giving what appeared to be detailed instructions for filing support to the CRTC on-line.

Also note that KRVA/1110's new tx actually puts a quite decent signal into South Burnaby.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Strange that approval criteria did not include neighbours on the other side of that artificial line on maps, which E-M waves have not heard about.

It did work against opponents of a cellular phone antenna in the area of Highlands BC (NW of Victoria).

Telus got approval from the fiefdom of View Royal to erect a big tower at the very north end of View Royal, a very short distance from the border of Highlands. (Few people living in that part of View Royal AFAIK, most of View Royal is served from the general hospital or the RV park across the freeway from it, albeit with holes due the rocky humps common in the Victoria area.)

People in the Highlands did complain but with not nearly the effect they could have if the tower site were in Highlands.

For the very few if any who want to see the tower, drive Munn's road from the east up toward Highlands, you pass under HV power lines, the orange tower should be visible from near there. A marvelous sight. ;-)
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle/Tacoma and Western Washington