Family Radio head Harold Camping dead at 92

Welcome to our friends from the Seattle area who lost their radio message board in early December ...

Family Radio head Harold Camping dead at 92

Postby Bongwater » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 am

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Cont ... 18791.html

Not feeling too bad. This guy destroyed a lot of his own people with his 2011 "end of the world" scam.

Family Radio is heard in the Seattle area over KARR 1460 AM.
If you're happy and you know it, share your meds.....
Bongwater

Re: Family Radio head Harold Camping dead at 92

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am

g'bye Harold. Now bring back the "Soul Of The Northwest" K-Y-A-C 1460!!!! :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby LITTLERIC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Always bothered the daylights out of me that Family Radio wound up with the legendary 610 frequency in San Francisco ... better known in the glory years as KFRC. Also bothered me that you generally pass the HQ of Family Radio on the way to Oakland Intl. Airport!
LITTLERIC

Postby jon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, he was only off by two and a half years about the end of HIS world.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby LITTLERIC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:45 pm

jon wrote:Well, he was only off by two and a half years about the end of HIS world.

Rounding error.
LITTLERIC

Postby Bongwater » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:28 am

skyvalleyradio wrote:g'bye Harold. Now bring back the "Soul Of The Northwest" K-Y-A-C 1460!!!! :groovy:

The future of the 1460/1250 xmitter site looks bleak. The whole area is being developed and the property taxes are going through the roof. And even though that site has been there for 50 years, the yuppies moving in are all NIMBYs. And there's really nowhere else in that area you can put up a 4 tower system.
Bongwater

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am

It's my understanding via Felix Banel that the property has been up for sale for some time and yes, is likely to become the newest sub-division in Kirkland. Good question about where 1460/1250 will end up and so far no applications to the FCC for change-of-facilities
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Bongwater » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:51 am

You can't even blink your eyes and a new strip mall or subdivision appears on the Eastside. The development is insane.

But 1460 is in a GREAT spot with residences moving TOWARDS it. You just have to find out what these creatures want to hear on the radio and should the Camping Family sell it and you have the $$$ for everything you could have something big.....
Bongwater

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:04 pm

you're absolutely right! I did a Google "Street View" Pegman drive surrounding the property and it's a fully developed urban neighbourhood. The KARR property must be at least 5 acres is my guess. I can only speculate how much the asking price would be, and finding a buyer may take awhile. It's certainly primo subdivision potential!

Now that Rev Harold has checked out for good, Family Stations may even sell or shut down AM 1460 as they have with a few other of their AM properties. A new licensee would have to find a new facility or property for the frequency, as would Disney for a night-time signal from KKDZ 1250. Their long existing daytime site, just off SW Marginal Way on Harbor Island, is totally unsuitable for a decent night pattern due to protection required to KWSC 1250 Pullman
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Bongwater » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 am

I'm not sure if those old protections for KWSU are even enforcable anymore. AM has been so deregulated, I'm not sure if any of them still exist....
Bongwater

Postby jon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:27 am

Bongwater wrote:I'm not sure if those old protections for KWSU are even enforcable anymore. AM has been so deregulated, I'm not sure if any of them still exist....

I cannot speak specifically to that case, but rules for protecting other stations are very much in place. As an example in your area, KKOL-1300 Seattle had to buy 1290 Port Angeles and make them forever silent before even thinking about applying for 50,000 watts with a decent pattern.

What may have changed is level of signal allowed in the licensed coverage area of another station. At night, with skywave, that could be stated in terms of both signal strength, in millivolts/metre, and probability, i.e. - how many nights a year, since skywave is not a constant, but quite variable in nature, in terms of how much signal you will get in a specific area.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am

I think you're both right - rules may have relaxed but not been eliminated. I'll guess that if the KKDZ daytime site on Harbor Island could cover the bulk of metro Sea-Tac-Everett, Disney or a previous owner would have gone with this option some time ago. Starting from scratch with an AM plant is a tough decision considering real estate, equipment costs and operation will be difficult to recoup in advertising or listener financial support. Other negatives include diminished coverage due to RFI from electronic devices and power lines...also metal framework in most commercial buildings. Disney may even choose to shut down or sell, if faced with the sale of the Kirkland Family Ministries property.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle/Tacoma and Western Washington