Mudslide

Welcome to our friends from the Seattle area who lost their radio message board in early December ...

Mudslide

Postby Bongwater » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 am

KOMO seems to be on the ball with the Oso mudslide disaster. KIRO breaks in. Business as usual on KRKO, KKXA and KSER. And so much for KEJI in Darrington.

Isn't it strange from the stations closest to a local disaster out here, you'd swear nothing was going on and the only people actually reporting anything on it are the Seattle stations?

KOMO did say the EAS would break in should the mud/debris dam created by the mudslide in the Stillaguamish River give way. (It's rising at an unbelieveable rate. And should it go, Arlington is REALLY gonna get it.)

And one more time for all you network radio/TV people outside of Puget Sound, it's pronounced STILL-A-GUAM-ISH. Not STILL-A GUM-ISH. Or just call it like the locals; "The Stilly". Thank you.

But I don't think KOMO would be the EAS station in this particular case. KRKO/KKXA would be the best as their signals come in loudly in that area (and KKXA is very popular there.) Monitoring KKXA and KOMO.

The photos are simply unbelievable. It's like somebody dynamited a huge chunk of a mountain. Unquestionably the biggest mudslide I have ever seen.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... dexml.html
If you're happy and you know it, share your meds.....
Bongwater

Re: Mudslide

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:54 am

thanks for the assessment of media outlets on top of this tragic story. To be fair, I DID catch "Stitch" Mitchell doing some live break-in reports on KXA 1520 yesterday & both he & owner Andy Skotdal did their best to keep residents updated via the KXA Facebook page. Using a different work skill/experience I've acquired in life, I've examined some of the photos upriver, also Google Earth & I'd guess that too much clear-cutting has contributed to this slide. Selective tree thinning techniques would have ensured some root stability to maintain the over-saturated ground due to high moisture content plus a reduction in debris content to minimize "choking" the river flow. Very sad...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Difficult to have coverage when your radio station is a computer.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Bongwater wrote:KOMO seems to be on the ball with the Oso mudslide disaster. KIRO breaks in. Business as usual on KRKO, KKXA and KSER. And so much for KEJI in Darrington.

Isn't it strange from the stations closest to a local disaster out here, you'd swear nothing was going on and the only people actually reporting anything on it are the Seattle stations?

KOMO did say the EAS would break in should the mud/debris dam created by the mudslide in the Stillaguamish River give way. (It's rising at an unbelieveable rate. And should it go, Arlington is REALLY gonna get it.)

And one more time for all you network radio/TV people outside of Puget Sound, it's pronounced STILL-A-GUAM-ISH. Not STILL-A GUM-ISH. Or just call it like the locals; "The Stilly". Thank you.

Well, Mother Corp's attempt at news on CHEK at 6 pm Sunday had the F. woman take one look at Stillaguamish and simp!y swallow the name to something starting with <Still...>, then later inform us a major city in the Netherlands is The Hag... rhyming with fag, bag, n' rag.

Oh well.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle/Tacoma and Western Washington