Kenny Harris passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Kenny Harris passes

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 am

Got word from Brian Antonson this morning that long time [1970s/1980s] CKNW Producer Kenny Harris has passed away in England.

In addition to his work at NW, Kenny operated Kneptune Records. Before and after CKNW, Kenny spent many years in radio in Bermuda.

R.I.P. Chappy!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Kenny Harris passes

Postby jon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 am

SIGN-OFFS:
Kenny Harris, 90, on Dec. 10 in Brandon, Suffolk. Known as “Mr. Brushes” for his jazz drumming style, the Royal Air Force veteran played with groups including the British Jazz Trio and the Ralph Sharon Sextet, in addition to working as a session player for RCA, Capital and Atlantic Records. Also a recording engineer and producer, he ran the Kneptune record label and publishing company. He started getting involved in radio production in the early 1960s, working with ZBM Bermuda, and in radio in Calgary, before becoming production director at CKNW Vancouver from 1977 through the early 1980s. Harris went on to write a biography of American jazz drummer Don Lamond and in 1998 penned Geraldo’s Navy, an account of playing on the Cunard and Canadian Pacific shipping lines under the direction of Gerald “Geraldo” Bright. His life was the subject of a Bermuda Government Treasures television program in 2009.
(Broadcast Dialogue)
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:28 am

I am not "near 90" but when I was let go circa '82 I think Kenny was one that left the building at the same time.

Someone in the evil empire determined that one person from each department should leave to help the shareholders. I was picked.

Jack

ps It hurt at the time but I am glad someone helped me to get to the next rewarding level of existence.

Merry Xmas everyone
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

Harsh recollections. So much for the Griffiths/WIC era always being a beneficent alternative to the eventual (current) Corus bean counters. No matter the boss, pleasing shareholders remains paramount.

I’d flit in and out of the New West operations in the mid/late ‘70s. But as a freelance script contributor to CFMI’s Discumentary, I knew very little about management relations with full time employees. A few years after leaving, I do recall being stunned that Dave McCormick was cut loose. Yeah, the Owl Prowl slot—long considered Dave’s eventual destination—went to sports instead. But expected management to figure out some combo of NW weekends, special programming for CFMI and voiceovers to retain him.

As I grew older, learned how all encompassing that term “It’s just business” can be.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History