CBC Radio personality Arthur Black dead at age 74

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 am

Black spent 3 decades with CBC and hosted the show Basic Black for 19 years
CBC News Posted: Feb 21, 2018 11:04 PM PT Last Updated: Feb 21, 2018 11:04 PM PT

Arthur Black, the humorist and former CBC Radio host, has died aged 74 after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

His partner, Lynne Raymond, confirmed he died at Lady Minto Hospital on Salt Spring Island, B.C., on Wednesday.

"It will come as no surprise to those who have been fans of Arthur's work that he faced it all with his own unique combination of defiance and good humour," said Chris Straw, Black's longtime producer, in a statement on behalf of the family.

"The family is very grateful for the overwhelming messages of support and good wishes received during his struggle with pancreatic cancer."

Black wrote on his blog about being diagnosed with what he called "the Mike Tyson of Cancers."

"So what's it like to get what amounts to a diagnosis of 'terminal' from your doctor?" he wrote. "Like getting smacked by a giant Nerf bat, initially. It rocks you back on your heels and yet it doesn't hurt. Not yet."

Award-winning humorist

Black got his start with the CBC in Thunder Bay, Ont., in 1972.

Basic Black was a Saturday morning staple on CBC Radio for 19 years, ending in 2002 when he retired. It was one of the network's most popular variety shows, heard by 600,000 listeners every week.

On top of his radio work, Black wrote several books and had a syndicated humour column in Canadian newspapers.

He won the Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal three times, most recently with Pitch Black in 2006. The book was a collection of stories about "offbeat and eccentric characters."

"It was a cavalcade," he said of his CBC career. "But it's always been fun. Better than having to work for a living."

In January, Black said it seemed "grandiose" to think about how he'd be remembered.

"If I can ... hiccup their lips into a smile, that would be nice."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4546417
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CBC Radio personality Arthur Black dead at age 74

Postby jon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 am

Yes, I had read that he was very ill. Sad.

I remember when Basic Black started on the CBC. I thought it was a good replacement for Danny Finkleman's Saturday morning show, though there may have been a time gap between Danny's show ending and Arthur's show starting. In those early years, Arthur did the show out of Thunder Bay.

Was that the smallest market that the CBC ever originated a national radio show from? Murray Hannah replaced Fred Latrimouille's CKLG-FM-like programming on Saturday afternoons in the early 1970s, and Murray was in Prince Rupert most of the year -- he did Summer Replacement at CBU Vancouver -- but I don't think his version of the show ever went across the country, though it was heard across Western Canada for some or all of its existence.

I seem to recall that Arthur did his show live to the Maritimes and tape-delayed across the rest of the country. When he was in Prince Rupert, Murray's show was recorded on Wednesday, for broadcast on Saturday, and shipped to Vancouver.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm

He looked older than 74 in the photos displayed on The National. Didn’t he live on and broadcast from Saltspring Island? Hope he enjoyed good health for most of his retirement.

RIP Arthur and condolences to family, friends and devoted fans.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 pm

I knew Arthur when he was at CBQ in Thunder Bay. That's when the studio was still in the the old CJLX 800 AM building on Miles St.. A converted rectory for nuns, with creeky wooden floors and spooky passage ways to unusual spaces.

He was one of the most creative writers of lighthearted topics and articulate conveying it. He's among my greatest mentors.

My condolences to his family, friends and fans.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History