What was your reason for getting into radio?

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

What was your reason for getting into radio?

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 am

Every now and then I look back at where I've been and how I got there. Growing up in a small prairie town, there wasn't a lot of entertainment, so early on in my life the radio became a best friend. There was always something to listen to during the day, and at night, there was a whole world of stuff out there from all over Canada and the States. By the time I was 12 or 13 I knew I wanted to be one of those guys on the radio spinning the hits. Like many people I worked with through the years, I too had my own little studio setup in a loft out in on of the barns (We didn't have a basement).

When I was almost 16, my dream came true. A family friend ran a business and he had some close ties to the local mom and pop radio station. One day he took me into the station with him and did the introductions and told the owners about my ambitions. They happened to be looking for a kid to do whatever around the station, and I saved them the trouble of having to advertise the opening. Withing a month or two of starting my part-time job in radio, I was called upon to come in and operate the block of religious shows on Sunday mornings. Within a few months of this promotion, I was given the all night show on Friday and Saturday nights.

I moved onwards and upwards from those humble beginnings. When I was in my early thirties, and a growing family, I decided it was time to make some money, so I got into sales. I stuck with radio sales and made a comfortable living for close to twenty years. Once I hit fifty, it was time to work for myself, which I still do today and love it.

A lot of great memories from the radio days, but I'm glad that it's nothing more than memories. I couldn't imagine working in it and enjoying it in today's environment.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Re: What was your reason for getting into radio?

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:00 pm

The Radio bug is an interesting fellow. He bites and that itch stays there until it is scratched.
My world is a world where the visual medium although there, plays second fiddle to the audio. So Radio was a big part of my youth.
I recall as a very young child (perhaps 4 or 5 years old) I went to CJVI in Victoria to be part of the audience of a childrens radio program. The audio track of cartoons ran over the air, while we in the aucience viewed the visuals. The magic ov this industry cought my attention at that point- How did all this happen.
In high school I did a "DJ show" over the P/A system for a year, some of the music provided by C-FUN (I borrowed records each week from the station) - and ID"s by CKLG's Terry David Mulligan.
Volunteering at a cable tv community channel was part of my journey doing studio camera and audio for about three years. At the time (mid 70's) the colour cameras were large with moniters that were about 6 to 8 inches accross - very easy to see.
The next step was BCIT radio for the full day program. (after doing a number of the night school classes. to prove that a person with low vision was able to handle the work load(.
I was at CJVB Vancouver for my whole working experience in radio.
So the radio bug bit and the itch was scratched. I had a great time scratching the itch.
The folks that I worked with were great. Pat Karl, Jan Vanbruchem, Theo Donnelly, Rudy Hartman Cal Koat, Audrey Vanbruchem ant there were so many international producers along the way. They made working at CJVB interesting and enjoyable.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History