Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Who?

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Who?

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:33 am

Bill Phillips at a Christmas Concert

CHQM-AM/FM Vancouver 1963-72; DJ/commentator CJAZ-FM Vancouver 1979-81; DJ/news editor CHQM 1982-93;
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 am

And voice of BC Tel "The number you called is not in service"...
as well as voice of my home answering machine message..."THIS IS A RECORDING"
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:05 pm

I made a lot of long distance calls to the U.S. and Canada in the early '80s, working for CKUA/CJAL-TV, and Bill's voice was the only male voice I heard doing those telco messages.

Almost made me homesick for (working at) CHQM when I played so many of Bill's voice tracks, commercials and imaging.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:07 pm

I stared and stared at that picture... thinking... I KNOW those eyes from somewhere... but eventually gave up. Bill looks great... but he was a bit more... well... gaunt back in the day :-) Great guy, great sense of humour, amazing intelligence. One day at CJAZ, I suggested to him that it'd be fun to fake a phone call... get the "We're sorry, the number you have dialled is not in service" recording... then start arguing with the voice... and have him argue back... in that wonderful voice. It was too funny! "What do you mean it's no longer in service, that's my Aunt Martha's number" "Well your Aunt Martha must have moved, or got behind in her bills because its NO LONGER IN SERVICE!!!" etc etc etc. Worked with Bill at WX/CJAZ and welcomed him as a regular customer at our game store back in the early eighties. Bill... hope you're well and enjoying life. It looks good on you!
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm

There are so many great Bill Phillips stories out there. Here are three from my days in the same building with him, though never at the same time of day:
  1. I ribbed him about what he said just before 11 a.m. on November 11, 1971: "Lest we forget, this is CHQM AM and FM in Vancouver." Actually, where the comma is inserted, there was the traditional one minute of silence.
  2. He would often be seen doing a crossword puzzle in Spanish while doing his live show each day.
  3. An operator who did not last -- although I didn't get him fired for it, he showed up late for work one Sunday afternoon and almost hit me with his car in the CHQM parking lot. When he got out, he was clearly totally stoned but insisted on doing his operator shift -- told me about being on a bus on Vancouver island when the elderly lady next to him mentioned how much she adored listening to Bill Phillips and wondered what he was like. The fellow said "He has a big wart on the middle of his nose and insists on doing his show every day in the nude." He claims the lady believed him, but he may have invented the whole story in a stupor.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History