Two former CKLG people pass away

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Two former CKLG people pass away

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 pm

In the last week, two former CKLG people have passed away.

Broadcast Dialogue Magazine reported that Vancouver broadcaster Don Hamilton has died in Victoria. He began his radio career at CFCH North Bay ON in 1951 and amassed a lengthy list of industry
credentials, including president of BC Association of Broadcasters in 1968 and Canadian Association of Broadcasters in 1972. Hamilton was VP of Moffat Communications and GM of CKLG Vancouver
during the 1960s and '70s, launched CIOF Vancouver (now TEAM CKST AM 1040) in 1986 and served on the CBC Board of Directors in 1989. He was a long-time friend and supporter of BCIT's Broadcast
department and served a lengthy term as chair of the Broadcast Advisory Committee. He spoke to various groups on campus over many years and co-chaired the 1999 Hamilton-Dubberly report on
the future of broadcast education for the department.

1964 pic of Don Hamilton from CKLG-FM sign on newspaper

Word has been received that Mick Luvzit died on December 7. He was living in the Fraser Valley city of Abbotsford. He entertained on a number of Canadian stations including CKLG and CKST Vancouver,
but became internationally known at Radio Caroline in 1966 and '67. He also hosted mornings at Praise KWPZ-FM 106.5 Lynden in the early 2000s.

Mick with Casey White at a 2011 RPM lunch in Vancouver

Thanks to Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters for the info.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Two former CKLG people pass away

Postby Fillinguy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Mick Luvzit was one of the first "radio stars" I met when i was beginning my career. A really nice guy to a wide eyed kid. Sad to hear of it. God bless ya Micker.
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Re: Two former CKLG people pass away

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

The hardest part of attending the RPM lunches is looking around the room and seeing all the people we worked with, are now older, and sadly, it seems life goes by at the speed of your age.

I just lost two friends from Toronto days and one from Ottawa, and I was just levelled.

Think the lesson here is - make sure you let the people you care for that they were a big part of your life, while you still can.

I look back and realize that it's been 40 years plus since I started and I am starting to lose all my wingers.

It hurts like hell.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History