John Zwolak "Johnny Zee" passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

John Zwolak "Johnny Zee" passes

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am

One time CKNW and long time CFAX Victora Production guy John Zwolak (known on-air as "Johnny Zee" passed away in his sleep on January 24th. Through the 1960's John worked in the CKNW production
department and did some on air work and the occasional remote. In 1970 he moved to the island and worked as Production director for almost 40 years. He retired from CFAX a few years ago.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: John Zwolak "Johnny Zee" passes

Postby jon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Suddenly realized that I worked with John at CHQM for a year (1971-72). At that time, he was a full-time operator, minding the IGM Automation Machine during the day for CHQM-FM. Trading off with Terry Timms as Maurice Foisy's operator during Q on the Aisle on CHQM-FM, when the 10 1/2" reels were recorded, live on-air, for both CHQM AM & FM. And occasionally (like Christmas) making custom music tapes. Other than covering for Terry Timm's sick leave and vacation, John was not yet recording commercials and other production work.

I'm afraid that my memory of John is overshadowed by one embarrassing incident. Where he snuck off for some Christmas cheer at an office party while recording a Christmas 10 1/2" reel. What he didn't know is that the LP cut that was playing had stuck for about 90 seconds before correcting itself. I was the one who got caught with it live on the air, jumped up and shoved the automatic drive on to the cue channel, and fast forwarded until the repetitive pattern quit, and continued with the rest of the same selection.

And, yes, I did edit the tape so as not to stick the next poor operator with the same problem.

Only the least senior of the full-time operators worked nights and weekends, so I rarely saw John, except at the one staff meeting that included part-time operators like me in the year I was there. Sometimes I'd see him on weekdays at the end of his shift and the start of mine.

As others have often said: "but we were all so young then. How could any of us be dying?"

I don't know when he started at CFAX, but it was definitely after I left CHQM: my last day was April 26, 1972.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History