Frank Dolphin - RIP

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Frank Dolphin - RIP

Postby mccrady » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Frank Dolphin, one of the original news reporters at CBC-TV in Edmonton, died early on Tuesday morning. He was one of the good guys ... some would say the best of the good guys.

What follows is Bill Laing's email about his passing:

---

I knew I'd have to write this unwelcome news at some time, but I had no idea how difficult it is to write about the loss of a long time friend and colleague who has been such a special person to so many of us who knew Frank Dolphin.

Frank passed away just after midnight this morning, February 5th. Marg and many of Frank's family were with him at his bedside in the University Hospital.

Frank had been hospitalized four times over the last month with pneumonia.

I first met Frank when he and I worked in the newsroom of CHED radio in Edmonton in 1959. Frank was already a veteran in the Press Gallery at the Alberta Legislature. We worked together on the Lamont tragedy when a train hit a school bus at a level crossing on a frigid minus 40-dgree morning in January 1960, killing 16 students.

Frank was one of the originals in the CBC newsroom when CBXT-TV Edmonton signed on in October 1961. Frank is the most honest, caring and helpful person I know. I think everyone who knows him will say the same thing.

Over the years he covered just about every beat and type of story.

I'm sure for him the highlight of his professional life was an assignment to do some stories in Israel.
Frank's faith wasn't just a Sunday thing, it guided him every moment of each day.

When Canada repatriated the constitution, Frank was sent to London, and managed to get into the tower of London and get pictures of the original British North America Act, an Act of the British government setting up Canada as a sovereign Dominion in 1867. He chuckled when he told us about it. Frank had been denied Access to the document, so he and the cameraman went to the Tower as tourists. He asked one of the guides where the BNA document was, and the man took him to a desk in the Tower, pulled out a drawer, and left Frank and the cameraman to handle The original and take whatever pictures they wished!

As a TV journalist Frank had a great gift for telling compelling stories. And the people he interviewed always said afterward how they appreciated his fairness, discretion and sensitive reporting.

He also had stints as Editor of the Western Catholic Reporter, and after retiring from CBC, set up a private writing service where his work included the writing of books for clients, including a former cabinet minister.

Frank turned 85 last September. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, four sons, two daughters and many grand children.

Funeral service will be at St, Joseph's Basilica in Edmonton, Monday February 11th at 10.
There is a viewing at 9 and a reception will follow the service. Long time family friend Father Mike McCaffery (spelling?) will officiate.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Re: Frank Dolphin - RIP

Postby jon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

So far, only CHED/iNews 880 have the story. Not even CBC Edmonton's News web site has picked up on it yet:
Frank Dolphin signs off
5am
2/6/2013
CHED

A man you invited into your home...first on the radio and then TV...has died.

It was a bitterly cold day in November, 1960 when a freight train sliced into a school bus at a level crossing near Lamont. Seventeen students...almost all of them teenage girls...were killed on a day Frank Dolphin would never forget. He worked for CHED News at the time of the tragedy.

Later, Frank moved to CBC TV in Edmonton where he covered hundreds of stories in his uniquely compelling style that earned him praise from newsmakers and respect from news reporters.

Frank Dolphin was 85 when he died this week.

EM

I was a frequent viewer of CBC Edmonton supper hour TV News and listener to CBX-AM in the later years of Frank's career there. He was just one of those reporters you remembered.

I've also had several great conversations with Frank since I joined the Edmonton Broadcasters Club in early 2007. He was a great supporter of the Club. And extremely well liked.

Filling in some additional details, Edmontonians first heard Frank's words in 1952, when he started at CJCA as a writer of commercials and radio shows. His on-air work began in 1956 at CKUA. But it was not until he moved to CHED that he moved into News. The move to Television was in 1961 when CBXT-TV first signed on. Frank did both News Reporting duties and full-scale documentaries, one of which took him down the Mackenzie River on a tugboat.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am

Frank's obituary, and a photo, can now be found at:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/edmont ... bLoggedOut
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

I worked briefly (six months in 1980) at CBC Edmonton radio and TV. I never met this gentleman there.

He may have been elsewhere during that period of time. He is about 19 years older than I so in 1980 - he would have been
52 and not retired. A bit of mystery. Jon and others have mentioned a number of people in that newsroom that I remember well but not this person.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:12 am

I've just posted a couple more pictures of Frank Dolphin that came, indirectly, from his son. They should cover the period that Jack is referring to, just in case they ring any bells.

Scroll down to the bottom of this long page and see the pictures of Frank at his CBC typewriter, and interviewing Peter Lougheed. One with glasses and one without. Click to enlarge.
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/mem ... hin-frank/
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History