Nick Sands passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Nick Sands passes

Postby radiofan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 pm

03/03/13 - Former CKWX and CJVB Vancouver personality Nick Sands (Nicodemus Sanzalone) has died in Richmond General Hospital following a long fight with Parkinson’s. He was born in 1932. He started his career at CJAT in Trail, BC in 1953 and quickly moved to CKMO/CFUN Vancouver and then briefly to CHBC-TV Kelowna in 1958, before moving back to Vancouver. Funeral service is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Friday, March 8 at Ocean View Funeral Home, 4000 Imperial Street, Burnaby. Early 1970s backgrounder

Thanks to Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters for sharing this.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Nick Sands passes

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 am

sorry to hear this. When I arrived to start work at CJVB in 1973, aside from PD Rudy Hartman, it was Nick who gave me the warmest welcome 'to the team'. Nick was always a soft-spoken very easy guy to get along with, and a great host to listen to.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:sorry to hear this. When I arrived to start work at CJVB in 1973, aside from PD Rudy Hartman, it was Nick who gave me the warmest welcome 'to the team'. Nick was always a soft-spoken very easy guy to get along with, and a great host to listen to.

I never realised Nick had two "stays" in TV in the Okanagan.. he went up there at some time to interrrupt his 'VB career as well tho I can't place a time frame on it.

Who RU who started at 814 Richards in '73?

This bod moved in there as well... in Feb '73... for an extended stay.

Unfortunately, I'll be in New Zealand on Friday so won't be able to attend Nick's service just down the street from home. I don't see an obit on either of the Vancouver Sun's or the Province's web sites

Our esteemed Edmonton correspondent will likely be amused at my comments about CJVB history.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby WestRadio89 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 pm

I have tried - I think unsuccessfully - of trying to send a private message to "radiofan"; wanted to ask a question about CJVB - but it's regarding someone who worked there - and prefer it not be posted on the main board (for privacy reasons).

My private message seems to just be sitting in the "outbox".. any suggestions why this is?

My thoughts btw go out to Nick's family; I'm sorry for the loss
WestRadio89

Postby WestRadio89 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Oops, as it turns out, I wanted to send the message to "sky valley" - so it didn't get to the right person anyways...ha... my mistake.

The question I had was about whether Sky valley knew someone that worked there/were they there at the same time. Sorry, but hopefully the pm works..
WestRadio89

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 am

Mark - message 4 U in your PM from me
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 am

WestRadio89 wrote:I have tried - I think unsuccessfully - of trying to send a private message to radiofan

I might get it in trouble for this (meddling?) but send me an email at jackbennest@gmail.com and I assure you radiofan will get it.

Jack :argue:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

I didn't get an email from Westradio89 but did get a private message through the radiowes message system.

I am no more the wiser

But an old friend from CJVB did email and that was great to renew some acquaintances. :carrot:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 pm

I was without a computer at the time of this posting I spotted this as I was going through past postings and wanted to add to the thread.

Nick was a genuine friend. When I arrived at CJVB his welcome was very warm; And over our 12 year working relationship I learned how to be a pro at our craft.Nick always had an answer when I had a question.

We spent many hours discussing life as well as the challenges and success' of our families.

The last time I saw Nick was at a lunch with some exCJVB producers in 1980.

The only regret is that I didn't contact him when I thought of him last Christmas. Nick would end his drive show on CJVB by saying "Ciao everybody" ... so to Nick I say "Ciao Amici`.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:The last time I saw Nick was at a lunch with some exCJVB producers in 1980..

The year noted above should read 2001 - TS
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History