Big Al and TV Week

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 06, 2006 8:06 pm

from a column by Red Robinson

"Canada Wide Magazines is celebrating 30 years in publishing. This west coast enterprise began with what was then called TV Weekly Magazine. The concept was created by CKNW sportscaster Al Davidson working with the Kelly-Douglas Super Value chain. The idea was to present television schedules and related stories. It floundered at one point until Peter Legge took over the helm and through his efforts took the magazine to new heights and popularity that it enjoys to this day.
This little magazine was the beginning of a conglomerate of magazines and much of the success is due to Peter's vision. The first "gossip" columnist was Earle Bradford who was the consummate news reporter and his style was clipped. Personalities in the community were highlighted in a brief manner and it became a "must" read. Sadly, Earle died of cancer, and after a period of time Legge decided to carry on with the column and he approached me to write it weekly. I have been doing it ever since and that time now spans over 18 years and over 900 columns! It all began in a different time and a much more intimate media world. "

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Sorry to dispute Red's facts...but the publication was called "Al Davidson's This Week" and it was distributed through Safeway, not Super Valu (note no "e" on Value).

If I had one handy, I'd scan and post ot ...I do recall the logo had a dogwood bloom on it.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun May 07, 2006 10:42 pm

Not the most flattering picture of "Big Al," but it brought back some memories.

As for Earle Bradford; a great broadcaster - he was a real pro!
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 pm

agreed on the "not the mostly flattering" comment

ole squinty eye - smokin up a storm - let me find that one of
all the guys in football uniforms...

tanks radiofan - re comments about This Week - maybe you should tell Red - dare I question him?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am

Radiofan is correct about it not being called TV Week when Big Al started it. I think Nina Anthony did have her recipes in there from the beginning and it was distributed at Safeway. My mom used to pick it up at the Lougheed Mall one. I don't think Al lasted very long as a magazine publisher before Peter Legge scooped it up though. I seem to remember that all this happened around the same time as the boat fires. Didn't Al also have a gaggle of good looking daughters? Wonder what ever became of them.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon May 08, 2006 10:28 am

tuned wrote:Didn't Al also have a gaggle of good looking daughters? Wonder what ever became of them.

I only met one, but can't remember her name.

I believe she worked for awhile as a producer at NW's downtown talkshow studios in the early eighties - possibly when Douglas Miller had a brief stint doing midnight to five.

Radiofan would probably remember.

And yes, she was indeed beautiful. I remember Al being very protective of her.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History