Frosty talks about what made NW and more

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Frosty talks about what made NW and more

Postby radiofan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Earlier this week Joseph Planta of The Commentary.ca talked with longtime CKNW Morning Man Brian "Frosty" Forst about his career, what made NW the giant it was and about radio today ...

I am Planta: On the Line, in Vancouver, at TheCommentary.ca.

One of the great treats doing this is that from time to time you get to talk to real legends, but beyond that you have the opportunity to talk to remarkable people you grew up with, people who entertained and enlightened you for many years. Brian Forst joins me now. Better known as Frosty Forst, who for over 30 years ruled the morning airwaves as the host on CKNW’s ratings leader, made many a morning a little more fun with his rapier wit, charm, and what Jack Wasserman described as his ‘sabre-tongue.’ Nobody was funnier, nobody was as quick-witted. From 1973, when he succeeded Bob Hutton, to 2005, he was tops in this town, 32 years out of a career that spanned more than fifty years. We’ll reflect on radio’s past, present and future. I’ll get Mr. Forst to indulge me in reminiscing about some former colleagues, some legends in the lore of Vancouver radio. Since retiring nearly a decade ago, the infamously reclusive Brian Forst has done very few interviews, chiefly a terrific radio history interview with Mike Cleaver, and an appearance or two with Jim Goddard. I am very pleased to welcome to the Planta: On the Line program, from a double-wide in Newton, Brian Frosty Forst; Mr. Forst, good morning.

Joseph Planta Talks with Frosty Forst

Dave McCormick and Brian "Frosty" Forst at he summer 2014 Radio West GTG @ Marine Pub
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Frosty talks about what made NW and more

Postby cart_machine » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 am

Dear Mr. Planta,

Take the time to watch Johnny Carson do the Tonight Show. He didn't spend a minute and 13 seconds introing a guest with a stiff, flat delivery that sounds like he was reading it off cue cards. A couple of shorts lines, and the guest was on. Don't waste time. Don't steal the guest's thunder.

I worked with someone who used to intro the sports guy with something like "Well, sportsguy, the Canucks beat the Penguins 1-0 tonight with that Linden first-period goal from Naslund." What was the sportscaster supposed to say? The anchor killed the whole point of his sportscast promo right then and there.

Radiofan (who knows broadcasting) gave you a subject header that's far more compelling and provides a tighter intro. Something along the lines of: "Brian 'Frosty' Forst knows what made CKNW the Number One station for decades in Vancouver. He was on the Top Dog's airwaves for more than 30 years during their glory days after a career as one of the top rock and roll Good Guys in Vancouver. He joins us now." Then condense your opening line and ask him "how."

I'm pleased you had a chance to talk to record Frosty for posterity. We need people to do interviews with our market's great broadcasters. People on the air today can learn something from the greats like Brian Forst.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Interviewing, as many including Cartie have pointed out, is an art that is fast becoming lost.
Back in the last century, when I was training many radio and TV newscasters, I would tell them to do all the research necessary before meeting the guest.
Come up with three questions to get the ball rolling.
Then LISTEN to what your guest is saying, instead of not paying attention and thinking about your next question.
Nine times out of ten, the interviewee will mention something that is far more interesting than those questions you prepared.
This can lead the interview off in a direction and reveal facts that may have never been released before.
In doing the Radio Veterans Interviews, often there was very little background information, other than what was available on Vancouver Broadcasters, Gord Lansdells excellent website.
The corpse have not been kind in keeping any radio history, throwing out most of it after taking over.
But back to rule number two: Listening is more important than thinking up questions.
The answers can lead to better questions.
Rule number one: The interview is NOT about you.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Sorry cArtie, when was the last time you provided an interesting interview that we could listen to?

I think it's great that Mr. Planta makes these chats available.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:24 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Sorry...

A highlight for me is an interview by Mr. Planta of yours truly way back when. His style was good and allowed me to ramble - revealing more
than I had expected. Think it is still there somewhere in the ether. :wave:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby pcardinal » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:36 am

^^Agreed Howaboutthat. Mr. Planta did a hell of a job. Great interview! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Mr. Forst is a total class act and the stuff of legend. Keep those interviews coming.
pcardinal

Postby radiofan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Here's a link to the series of interviews Mike Cleaver did with various Vancouver radio people a few years ago.

http://bcradiohistory.radiowest.ca/amik ... r/jukebox/

The interviews are in a "jukebox" ... scroll down to see who's in there.

These are on our sister site, BC Radio History . The site is in the process of being updated and redeveloped.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History