Bob Merchant passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Bob Merchant passes

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:48 am

MERCHANT, Robert (Bob) Sydney
1946 - 2015
Bob passed away peacefully at Langley Memorial Hospital (Maple Hill Building) on Tuesday, June 9, 2015 in his 69th year. Robert was the beloved son of mother, the late Rita Evans, and father, the late Guy Merchant. He will be lovingly remembered by his sister Diane Clark (Tom) and brother Chester Merchant (Donna). His niece Nadine Caseres, husband Dan, and children Sofia and Isabella. His nephew Colin Clark, wife Laurie, and children Kirsten and Mitchell. He will also be remembered by his longtime, loving friend Valerie Curry and greatly missed by his little dog Vinney. He worked many years at his first love, radio, as an announcer in various stations, including CKXL Calgary, CICA Edmonton, CHNL Kamloops, CFUN Vancouver and CISL in Richmond. His latest work endeavour was a short time selling real estate in the Lower Mainland area. He will be missed by all who knew him. The family would also like to give a special thanks to Dr. Chapman, the nurses and care staff at the Langley Memorial Hospital, and the Maple Hill building for the care and compassion shown to Bob. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date.

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/vancou ... mi8YG.dpuf
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Bob Merchant passes

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:44 am

Very sorry to hear of Bob's passing. Enjoyed working with him at CKWX back in his radio days. Gone too soon. Enjoy each and every day.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:32 pm

This hits really hard. Bob was a great winger, at CFUN - and we shared the same Birthday.

I always liked his positive energy and his kind nature.

Losing Freddie and now Bob, it makes me realize that Cubby is right - make every day count.

RIP, Bob - know you were loved and appreciated by your Radio Family, and Fans.

My condolences to his Family.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:21 pm

OH NO....I am so saddened by this. Tom you are right,Freddie and now Bob. I realize we are getting older but nowadays even 80 isn't old. I wish Bob could have seen that. R.I.P.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks to muzik for sharing this mid 1970's photo of Bob Merchant ...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11419
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:12 am

Some audio memories of Bob Merchant and Ched Miller in 1978 on 14 C-FUN courtesy of airchexx.com - http://airchexx.com/2013/10/05/bob-merc ... r-bc-1978/

Other highlights include a full "Today at Safeway" (I'm pretty sure the jingle was a Tommy Banks production) spot and Steve Abrams who later went to 2&7 CFAC television in Calgary with a news update.

There's even a comment from RW member Rich Elwood at the above link.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:39 pm

I was very sorry to hear about Bob Merchant passing. I worked with him at CFUN from 77 to 80. He was one of the nicest people who roamed the halls and control room at 1900 West 4th and a great jock. A wonderful man who loved to laugh! I recall many Bob Merchant stories but one that stands out was the night I was working 9 to midnight for Racoon Carney and Bob came into the station. I said to him, "You're early." (His shift was 9 a.m. to noon). Bob had just come from the Alice Cooper show and had lent his pet boa "Alice" to Alice Cooper because Cooper couldn't get his snake across the border. Bob was thrilled to contribute to the show and to an artist he liked.

Bob was a great guy who would always help you or give you a helpful note. Never an unkind word about anybody. Sadly, he was another talent let go by a PD who didn't see eye to eye with a straight shooter like Bob.

It was a privilege to have known and worked with him.

RIP Bob.
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History