Red at KJR

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:22 pm

07/02/06 - Northwest radio history could have changed in January 1960. The US Army called and prevented legendary Vancouver broadcaster Red Robinson from starting as afternoon host at KJR Seattle. View the memo signed by KJR PD John Stone, written on what Red describes as, "The only piece of paper we could find while having dinner."

thanks to gord lansdell of northwestbroadcasters.com

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:04 am

Here is my best guess as to Red's radio employment during this period. In 1959, he left CKWX for KGW Portland. At the beginning of 1960, just as he was to move to KJR, he was drafted, and served at Fort Ord, California, commuting to KMBY Monterey on weekends.

He completed his service in 1961, and returned to CKWX. Somewhere around April 1962, Dave McCormick left CFUN for K-MAKe Fresno, to work with Ron Jacobs (later KHJ's first Boss Radio Program Director), and Red moved to CFUN to replace Dave.

As for John Stone, he moved (also as PD) to KOL in 1961, hiring Lan Roberts around August or September of that year. John had been Lan's competitor in New Orleans before John moved to KJR. The last time I heard of John was in the mid-'60s when he dropped by Fresno, looking for work.

Reelradio has a KJR John Stone aircheck from November 11, 1960, at http://www.reelradio.com/ca/index.html#jskjr1160

Ironically, that 1960 Nov. 11 was Red's 6th anniversary on the air.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:08 pm

But the most interesting question is: where would Pat O'Day have fit in the picture, if Red had come to stay for the long run at KJR?

My personal guess, after only 5 seconds of thought: Pat would have eventually followed (or even preceded) John Stone to KOL. And KOL would have given KJR a really good run for their money -- the winner would be anyone's guess -- beginning in 1960 or 1961.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:13 pm

I just realized that Pat O'Day may not have been at KJR yet, in January 1960. He may still have been at KAYO (Seattle) when they were still Top 40. That being true, then maybe it would have been KAYO, if Pat was put in charge, that would have given KJR a run for its money.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History