Keith Rich RIP

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Keith Rich RIP

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Keith Rich passes

Listen
http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/keithrich.ram
thanks to don shuttleworth

KEITH RICH Passed away suddenly at his home in Meaford on Monday, November 19, 2007 at the age of 80. Keith was born in Dugald, Manitoba in 1927 and was raised in Edmonton by his father, Dr. Charles B. Rich, and his mother Florence Rich nee Jackson. He served his radio apprenticeship with CHOB Pembroke, Ont., CJBI (sb CJVI) Victoria, and CJCA Edmonton where he spent 4 years. Keith moved to Toronto in the late 1950s and joined CFRB. After 2 years, he teamed up with fellow Edmontonian Steve Woodman to resume work as a radio tag team and their success led to a 2 year stint with WNBC in New York City. In 1964, Keith and his family moved backed to Toronto where he began a 22 year tenure as CKEY's morning man. Then in 1986 Keith made the move to CJCL where he remained until his retirement from radio in 1990. After Keith left radio he turned his forever interest in farming into a full-time occupation. Keith and his wife Elizabeth also bred Australian shepherds and their dogs were much loved companions. Another passion of Keith's was researching and writing on Canadian and British aviation history. The lure of flying also drew him into collecting and restoring vintage aircraft with the Collingwood Classic Aircraft Foundation. Aviation was a focus for much of Keith's life, including many cross-country trips piloting his own plane with family in tow, and ownership of the airport in Midland, Ontario. Keith excelled in building all manner of str uctures and vessels and was particularly adept at recruiting his workers by inviting friends and family up to the farm for a 'get together' only to hand them a hammer shortly after they arrived. All workers were handsomely rewarded with wonderful conversation and much revelry. Keith is predeceased by his wife Elizabeth Sheldrick, and sur vived by children Chris, Robin, Michael and Kevin, his first wife Virginia, sisters Daphne Anderson and Josephine Finlayson, and grandchildren Samantha and Mackenzie Rich. Please join Keith's family to celebrate his life on Thursday, November 29th from 1-3 p.m. at the Gardiner-Wilson Funeral Home, 69 Denmark St., Meaford, Ont. (519) 538-2550, followed by a reception at the Meaford Castle Restaurant, 365 Sykes St., from 3-5p.m. If desired, the family requests that a donation be made to the Salvation Army.

thanks to the woodman family for the photo
and thanks to cameron bell for seeing that in the papers
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:10 pm

From EdmontonBroadcasters.com:
Announcer CJCA Edmonton mid-1950s.

I have also asked members of Edmonton Broadcasters Club who likely worked with Keith at CJCA and possible CKWX, to comment. And I will let everyone know what I find out.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Keith Rich has a different approach. He once said: You don't have to be good in this business; just prompt.

Copyright 1986 Toronto Star, All Rights Reserved.

No, disc jockey Keith Rich isn't really unemployed. And yes, he will be heard on CJCL (1430) this fall, as first reported in The Star in March.

In an unusually sneaky but clever ad campaign, CJCL is publicizing its acquisition of the popular ex-CKEY (590) morning host, even though an advertised connection between CJCL and Rich is forbidden.

Rich, who left CKEY a week ago to make way for Jay Nelson, agreed not to officially link his name with CJCL for three months, until he begins appearing on the nostalgia station in September.

But this week, Rich - dressed as a baker, Hollywood tycoon and other characters - has been featured in a series of newspaper and billboard ads with the headline "D.J. available. Will do almost anything."

A caption explains that Rich is out of work, but anyone with ideas for temporary employment can telephone him at 872-RICH.

In the recorded phone message, Rich introduces himself and says, "You know that I'm looking for ideas to keep me busy until I join the CJCL morning team in September." Then the caller is asked to suggest a job and is promised a written reply from Rich.

CJCL spokesman Rick Hart said yesterday the campaign was designed to side-step the ad ban, while reminding Rich's fans the disc jockey is still around.

CKEY spokesman Gene Stevens said his station has no problem with the campaign and added that some CKEY staffers, who worked closely with Rich for over 20 years, have even tacked the newspaper ads to their bulletin boards.

"But it's also left us bemused and slightly perplexed," Stevens said. "This is not the Keith we knew - a nice, gentle, ordinary, common-folk type of guy. It looks like CJCL is asking him to jump out of his skin and do something that's out of sync with his character."
Last edited by Jack Bennest on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Here is latest on Keith's radio background

A few holes to plug

CHOV Pembroke
CJCA Edmonton
1952-1956
CFRB Toronto
1957-1958
CKWX Vancouver
1960-1961
CKEY Toronto
1961-1962
WNBC New York
1962-1963
CKEY Toronto
1964-86
CJCL Toronto
1986-1991

I have deleted bio strip in previous post
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Top Dog wrote:Here is latest on Keith's radio background

<snip>

I did some checking today, TD. You kinda have to do some educated guessing as the Vancouver Sun stopped doing daily radio listings by 1960; the Province was doing them but their focus was on TV.

Presuming that he and Steve Woodman worked together at 'WX from the start, the first listing I can find is Tuesday, November 15, 1960. It may well be they started on the Monday or earlier and the newspaper wasn't told.

Anyway, here's the line-up for that day:
8:10 - Woodman
9:30 - C. George
1:30 - R. Willes
5:30 - B. Clyde
10 - World Tonight
10:15 - Close of Day
10:30 - D. Erickson

I've always liked the idea there's still more programming after the day closes.

The programming listing for Monday, Nov. 14th looks like this:
8:10 - C. Hatton
9:05 - C. George
1:05 - N. McLean
3:05 - Hit Parade
5:05 - N. McLean
6:00 - R. Giles
6:10 - B. Stephenson
7:05 - Laughland
8:05 - World Tonight
8:30 - Laughland
10:05 - Close of Day
10:20 - Laughland

Incidentally, the Sept. 16 listings show a chap named Norm Grohman doing the 5, 7 and 10:20 segments. So it appears Andy Laughland replaced him in fall of '60.

Maybe TD or someone can fill me in about this .. I see that one day, Mr. Clyde F. Hatton of Vancouver is listed as C. Hatton and the next day he's suddenly B. Clyde. Is that when he changed his name?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Ron Robinson could probably answer this best aCartie - I was in diapers
in 1960

or ask Buddy Clyde Hatton himself at buddyhat@comcast.net
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:18 pm

The Woodman and Rich show was first listed on the back of the CKWX Fabulous Forty chart beginning November 19, 1960. Their names disappeared from the chart beginning September 16, 1961 when they were replaced by Barrie Clark who inaugurated Vancouver's first "Open Line" show.

Buddy Clyde's name first appeared on the April 11, 1960 chart. As far as I know he always went by that name on radio, although he never made a secret of his real name "Clyde Hatton". He always signed autographs "Your Buddy Clyde."

JB
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 am

Bob Rice just posted this on sowny.ca:

I last visited Keith in Meaford in the summer of 2007 and, due to some medical circumstances that put me out of touch, I was not aware of his passing in November. I have just come across it when googling some of us CKEY oldtimers.

I was part of the new team at CKEY when it was sold by Jack Kent Cooke to the Westinghouse/Globe & Mail consortium in 1961. I was working at CFGM in Richmond Hill with Bill Brady when Brady was hired by 'EY. Fortunately (for me) Brady wanted me to go with him and the powers that be at 'EY agreed.

Woodman & Rich followed Brady for mid-morning and I was also the operator (producer?) for them. Due to space problems, we 3 all shared the same control room, W&R at a dinky little table crammed in a corner up against the McCurdy announce/op board and tables that I ran.

I am certain there are no W&R tapes since we had enough of a time keeping the aircheck machine working.

It was a hoot and I was there for W&R's final show before heading to WNBC.

I left 'EY in 1964 and rejoined in '69 when Gene Kirby asked me to fill-in on traffic in the helicopter. Keith had replaced Rick Campbell in the morning slot and was broadcasting from the TD Centre's restaurant.

There were no other morning 'teams' at that time and, over the next few years, Keith, Robert Payne, Dini and then Dianne, and I found the show evolving into a 'team' show rather than just Keith. He encouraged us to stretch the envelope and for many, many years it was a pleasure to get up at 4:00am and anticipate what nonsense we would get into over the next few hours. There were no scripts, everything just came off the top of our heads.

Thanks for some of the nice comments, especially from Hebsy, quite a talent in his own right.

I'll always have great memories of Keith (and Steve) and will cherish them forever.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Keith Rich RIP

Postby brianperry10533 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Great memories of Keith Rich and CKEY. As a teenager in the 1970s my radio was permanently tuned to EY and I just loved everything about the program - the newscasts wuth Charlez Templeton and Joe Morgan (who do we have today who are one-tenth as good?), the chopper reports with Bob and Dianne, Jim Hunt's sportscasts. And I could hardly wait for Keith's banter with the late grear Mike Magee in his Fred Dobbs/J. Carter Hughes modes. Absolutely classic stuff! And I remember when weatherman Morris Kestin, on a freezing January morning, telling listeners that "it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." Wonder what management made of that? (This was the early 70s remember). RIP Keith...you were one if a kind.
brianperry10533

Re: Keith Rich RIP

Postby hagopian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm

When I worked in Toronto, I listened to Keith and was a HUGE fan. This guy 'brought his A game' - every day.

I was lucky to have be in the same market as this wonderful talent, during his salad days.

Thanks, Keith.

Ne Plus Ultra.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History