Rick Honey "the drummer"

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Rick Honey "the drummer"

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 am

I was doing a lot of listening and a little reading about Lenny Breau, the ridiculously gifted but tragic figure of jazz guitar who came out of Winnipeg in the late 50's. Most consider him a Canadian talent but was actually born in Maine. He and his musical family band would often play live on CKY radio when Randy Bachmann was growing up in Winnipeg. Randy developed a friendship with Lenny and learned a great deal from him. Listen to the solo in Blue Collar by BTO; that's all Lenny Breau influenced absolutely.
More to the subject of the title of this post however,
I came across a citation in Wikipedia:
"In 1963 and 1964, Breau appeared at David Ingram's Fourth Dimension at 2000 Pembina Highway in Fort Garry, where every Sunday night was a hootenany open to all. Another regular at the club on Sunday nights at the same time was Neil Young and his band with Vancouver CKNW's Rick Honey as his drummer".
I knew Rick of course, not as well as many did, but if he had ever mentioned having been a drummer in a band with Neil Young I am certain I would have remembered.
Anyone here recall that fact or can relate more about it?
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Rick Honey "the drummer"

Postby jon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:00 pm

This may be the missing piece of a small puzzle that has had me puzzled for the last 49 years. In 1968, Daryl B. did a Special on CKLG-FM, right after the Buffalo Springfield broke up. In it, he kept referring to "We", rather than "I", even though he was not known for any fondness for The Royal We.

Assuming that Rick Honey was still in Winnipeg at the time, it makes sense that Daryl was referring to Rick and himself as "We", because of the insider Buffalo Springfield information he possessed that almost certainly would have come from Neil Young through Rick Honey.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

A little more mining unearthed this interesting related article from The Winnipeg Free Press.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-a ... 63611.html
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Ah! More proof of Rick Honey's brush with fame...and it comes from a nearly 10 year old post by Jack Bennest right here on this Radio West board no less.
It's actually a re-print from a 1988 Denny Boyd Sun newspaper column.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2531
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Lenny Breau did brilliant, beautiful things with a guitar I'm not sure anyone ever did before. Here he is performing "Yesterday" on CBC Winnipeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D8ow1znmk
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Chet Atkins called him; "..the greatest guitarist who ever lived".
Think about it. That was Chet 'freakin' Atkins saying that!!
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History