Charlie Tuna Needs You!

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Charlie Tuna Needs You!

Postby jon » Sat May 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Your vote can make the difference as to whether Charlie Tuna makes it into the National Radio Hall of Fame.

http://www.museum.tv/rhofsection.php

Art Bell is also nominated in a different category.

Hint: if you don't live in the U.S., leave your mailing address blank.

I'm referring to the DJ born Art Ferguson, not the cartoon character flogging Starkist voiced by Hershel Bernardi of "Fiddler on the Roof" fame. Art was already on KHJ (Boss Radio Central) in Los Angeles in 1969, never seems to without a great gig for long, and can be heard weekends today in most markets doing brand new editions of "Back to the '70s" in one of MG Kelly's syndicated series. Charlie has a great set of '70s artist interviews that he uses.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Charlie Tuna Needs You!

Postby cart_machine » Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 pm

jon wrote:Your vote can make the difference as to whether Charlie Tuna makes it into the National Radio Hall of Fame.

Funny, Jon, I thought he was already in. It's a no-brainer, afaic.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 11, 2008 10:52 am

Quite frankly, I have never spent the time to try and figure out who all the different awards organizations are for Radio in the U.S. Part of the confusion that I've found is that there are Web sites run by some old retired guy in his basement suite that, at first glance, appear as important an award organization as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the NAB, etc.

Part of the problem, too, is the poorly executed attempts to create brick and mortar radio museums in several U.S. cities. Some grant is obtained for the building/leasehold improvements, but it quickly dies for lack of on-going support to pay all the operating and capital expenses that occur after it opens. Like a roof that starts leaking. And you can get volunteers for many of the glamour jobs, but someone has to be paid to do the janitorial work and regular maintenance on the furnace.

Anyway, many of these museums are giving out their own awards, too.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun May 11, 2008 2:27 pm

jon wrote: Part of the confusion that I've found is that there are Web sites run by some old retired guy in his basement suite that, at first glance, appear as important an award organization as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the NAB, etc.

No, those are the Traffies.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Sun May 11, 2008 4:56 pm

:D Good one Cartie.. 9.8 from the Canadian jock!
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Return to Radio People History