CBC's George Finstad Passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

CBC's George Finstad Passes

Postby jon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:00 pm

The following note was just circulated on a CBC Pensioners' mailing list:

I am sorry to give you the sad news that George Finstad passed away yesterday - May 30, 2008 - in Toronto shortly after being taken to hospital from his home in Mississauga, Ontario. He had been ill with heart problems for the last few years.

In lieu of flowers, George's family encourages friends and colleagues to contribute to the Heart and Stroke Foundation or to a charity of choice.

Some details about George's life follow....

George Finstad - Broadcaster and former CBC Colleague

George Finstad broke into broadcasting at CKUA in his home town of Edmonton in 1953. But he quit for a year to make some money operating a dredge on the eastern shore of Great Bear Lake. He returned to broadcasting to work in varying capacities as he continued his apprenticeship in cities such as Lloydminster, Victoria and Vancouver, where he joined CBC in 1964. Finstad first moved to Toronto in 1965 as a summer replacement. After his stint he returned to Vancouver and, among other things, became the special feature reporter for the 1967 centennial year celebrations in British Columbia. In 1968, George returned to Toronto where he became weekend anchor on The National News, and with co-host Joan Watson, formed the original team on the CBC program, Marketplace. George also backed-up Lloyd Robertson, who was the weekday anchor of The National News at the time.

George once said the most challenging moment in his career occured in October 1970 when he went on national television to recount the killing by kidnappers of Quebec Labour Minister Pierre LaPorte. Without a script and in a calm, professional manner, Finstad kept a stunned Canadian public aware of events as reports reached CBC TV newsrooms.

George's voice can be heard doing the narration on many fine Television productions over the years. One in particular was the acclaimed documentary entitled Who Owns the Sea? - which he narrated with Gordon Pinsent. A specially edited version of this program was later shown at United Nations environmental meetings held in Stockholm, Geneva and New York. Those meetings led to the Law of the Sea Conference in 1975.

Finstad was nominated for an ACTRA Award as Best Public Affairs Broadcaster for his work as co-host of Marketplace. He was teamed with Joan Watson until he left the program in 1977 to take a job in private radio in Montreal. He later returned to CBC Television in Montreal, where he worked in television news. He retired from the CBC in 1990.

George passed away in Toronto on Friday, May 30, 2008. He leaves his wife, Betty; children Laurie, Rob, Mark, Kathy and Kim; and grandchildren, Emily, Julian, Mitchell and Rachael. Following his wishes, the family will hold a private service of remembrance next week.
Last edited by jon on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 pm

George was one of my favourites when I worked for CBC Radio in the first half of the 1970s.

From EdmontonBroadcasters.com:

George Finstad - CKUA Edmonton 1953; CKSA Lloydminster 1950s; CFAX Victoria early 1960s; staff and News announcer CBC Radio Vancouver 1964-68; special feature reporter BC centennial year celebrations CBC Vancouver 1967; CBC Toronto 1968-77; weekend anchor The National News CBC-TV Toronto late 60s-early 70s and portrayed as "George FunnyStud" on CBC Radio comedy programs; co-host Marketplace CBC-TV national 1972-77; narrator public affairs series Elements of Survival CBC-TV national 1974-75; private radio Montreal 1977; CBC-TV Montreal 1980s; retired from CBC 1990. CBC Biography @ http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/mp30 ... nstad.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:37 am

And, just announced this (Monday) morning on CBC “World at 8” – George Finstad. (Almost) complete bio on Vancouver Broadcasters site, which I note has just been updated with insert “Died May 30th, 2008 in Toronto.” The only thing missing from his career listing is his time at CJOR, after leaving C-FAX/Victoria in ‘63 for CJOR, whereupon he left just as I arrived in 1964 for a position at CBC Vancouver, eventually becoming a national CBC job, later a CBC and private career in Montreal. Apparently passed away following ‘heart issues.’

John Ashbridge

TD note - Jon Pearkins had this first in Canada I think - with Ontario
board taking the liberty and the other bc boards scalping the lead line and using an old bio. All my checks on cbc sites and the national press proved fruitless in finding an obit or story on. Good connection Jon.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Here is the first official release from the cbc

George Finstad, first Marketplace host, dies
Last Updated: Monday, June 2, 2008 | 9:36 AM PST

George Finstad was the first host of CBC's Marketplace, joining the program in 1972. (CBC)George Finstad, a former CBC announcer and the first host, with reporter Joan Watson, of CBC-TV's Marketplace, has died.

Finstad died Friday in hospital in Mississauga, Ont., his family has confirmed. He had been suffering from heart problems.

Finstad was the weekend anchor of CBC-TV's The National News in the 1970s, based in Toronto.

He was the calm voice who in October 1970 told Canadians on national television about the murder by kidnappers of Quebec Labour Minister Pierre Laporte.

Working without a script, he relayed reports as they came in from CBC reporters across the country. Later he said it was the most challenging day of his career.

He also reported on the secret wedding in 1971 of then prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau and Margaret Sinclair.

In 1972, when CBC created the groundbreaking consumer affairs show Marketplace, Finstad was co-host, along with consumer affairs reporter Joan Watson.

He was nominated for an ACTRA award as best public affairs broadcaster for his work on the program.

Born in Edmonton, he broke into broadcasting at CKUA radio in 1953.

He quit for a year to make some money operating a dredge on the eastern shore of Great Bear Lake, but returned to broadcasting, working in Lloydminster and Victoria.

He joined CBC in Vancouver in 1964, working in a variety of positions on air. Among his assignments there was special feature reporter for the 1967 Centennial Year celebrations in British Columbia.

Finstad moved to Toronto briefly in 1965 as a summer replacement before going back to B.C. Then in 1968, he became weekend anchor on The National News, based out of Toronto.

He also backed up Lloyd Robertson, who was the weekday anchor at the time.

Finstad's voice can be heard doing the narration on many TV productions, including the documentary Who Owns the Sea? which he narrated with Gordon Pinsent.

A specially edited version of this program was later shown at United Nations environmental meetings held in Stockholm, Geneva and New York, which led to the Law of the Sea Conference in 1975.

He stayed with Marketplace until 1977, when he left to take a job in private radio in Montreal.

He later returned to CBC Television in Montreal, where he worked in television news. He retired from the CBC in 1990.

Finstad is survived by his wife Betty, children Laurie, Rob, Mark, Kathy and Kim, and grandchildren Emily, Julian, Mitchell and Rachael.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Top Dog wrote:Jon had this first in Canada I think. Good connection Jon.

I would like to credit the person who gave me the info, but past experience with other friends who keep me up to date, says that naming someone tends to backfire, exposing them to e-mails or phone calls, DEMANDING that the writer/caller be notified FIRST, before me.

So, all I can say is: if any of my dedicated and growing list of tipsters are reading this, "Thank you. You help make RadioWest a great place".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:38 pm

I already gave him hell Jon. lol
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History