Music Artist - The Hawk

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Music Artist - The Hawk

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 am

"This is a side-bar but it concerns a record that Dave (who programmed the music from the variety of ways he describes) came across somewhere, probably in the piles of 45's we'd get almost daily from the US. It was an instrumental, released on Sun Records...the Glen Miller hit "In The Mood" and recorded by an unknown named The Hawk. There was no Hawk, the recording was by Jerry Lee Lewis, who was still under contract to Sun Records but because of the morality mess he was in over marrying his 13 year old cousin, he couldn't get airplay and his carreer went into hiatus. This would have been late 60's (or maybe in '61). But the tune was done in the Lewis piano style and had great potential so Dave made it one of the "Twin Pick Hit's of the Week" I can recall McCormick calling Sun Records in Memphis and explaining our system and could they send us 25 copies of the record which they did. It never really went anywhere and I doubt local record stores stocked it. But it was good and for a Lewis collector, I would think it would be a real rarity." Brian Lord

Another recording of Jerry Lee Lewis playing an instrumental boogie arrangement of the Glenn Miller Orchestra favorite "In the Mood," was issued by Sun under the pseudonym of "The Hawk," but disc jockeys quickly figured out the distinctive piano style, and this gambit failed.

wikipedia bio on Lewis
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History