Not Today in History

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Not Today in History

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:50 pm

(Copyright Vancouver Sun 2001)

SCENE & HEARD: Tom Plasteras, program director at CKNW, is back from holidays Tuesday. May he have had a restful and pleasant time. Because upon his return, the unsuspecting Plasteras will be walking into one of the most tumultuous conflicts in local radio history. In the one corner stands headstrong Brian Burke, GM of the Canucks. In the other, NW's caustic morning man, Brian (Frosty) Forst. Burke can take a punch with the best of them if it's thrown at something he's done in the line of duty. Criticize his trades; criticize his team's play; poke holes in his philosophies .... the fiery redhead considers it all part of the game. But when you get personal, that's when the fangs come out. Frosty the morning man described Burke the other day as being "stupid". In fact, he repeated it several times in the same sentence: "stupid, stupid, stupid!" Now the Canucks GM wants a public apology and that's the last thing in the world Frosty the morning man would ever consider doing. For years he has felt it's his right to sit on his radio throne and insult people at will. He chalks it up as humour. On the record, Burke will only say: "they [CKNW] are our broadcast partners and this is an internal issue." Burke once told me over a long lunch at False Creek the reason he has never accepted a dime for appearing on NW as a regular guest is because he doesn't want to feel obligated should he have to take a stand. "I want to be able to walk when I want to," he said. "I want to be able to say, `stuff it, you're being unfair'." If an apology isn't forthcoming from Frosty the morning man, I would strongly suggest Burke will exercise his option.

Greg Douglas
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History