Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:13 pm

I thought you would enjoy the wording

Now help me locate these people in time

I will post the top of the ad in a bit - its a bit of a teaser

u can guess the year and the chief class instructor
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

I'd say it was in the 65 - 67 range and likely Frank Callaghan was the instructor.

Note the grads ... the only names I recall from the radio biz are Clark Housley [News --CKWX //CJOR] and Don Prentice .. Prince George.

Gord Lansdell went on to start a radio related website and Glen Clark became premier of BC.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:47 pm

"CFUN's Last Day" aircheck (June 30, 1969) has Clark Gray doing News.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks to Gord Lansdell for the newspaper ad in 1964

Ross Hicks is in Calgary and a flack for the National Energy Board
Clark Gray is retired and leaving in North Van
Don Prentice of CKPG died early at 34 in 1978

The other names are a mystery
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:36 pm

radiofan wrote: I'd say it was in the 65 - 67 range and likely Frank Callaghan was the instructor.

Note the grads ... the only names I recall from the radio biz are Clark Housley [News --CKWX //CJOR] and Don Prentice .. Prince George.

Gord Lansdell went on to start a radio related website and Glen Clark became premier of BC.

Not likely, the man who brought us the Fast Ferries and Fudge-it Budgets was born in 1957 and would have been a grade-schooler when that ad was printed. As far as I know, his only media experience has been with Pattison, unless you count that episode of "COPS" BCTV filmed at his East Vancouver home in the '90s.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:54 pm

jonedmonton wrote: "CFUN's Last Day" aircheck (June 30, 1969) has Clark Gray doing News.

Peter Chant was at CFVR Abbotsford about 1970-71. Can't remember whether he came from or went to CJJC.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:26 am

Clark Gray stayed after the CFUN to CKVN switch and was part of Bruce Hood's news team on the Voice of News format. He was one of the 26 given the boot on a Friday afternoon, I think, in March of 1971 maybe??

I started at CKVN August 15, 1969.....but I'd been told the news format had been going a lot longer than six weeks....June 30 really the changeover date?

BTW, anyone know if Ron Carabine is still alive? he was the GM at CKVN/CFUN late 60's to early 70's
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 am

Top Dog wrote: Image

I will post the top of the ad in a bit - its a bit of a teaser.

Ken Armstrong's still around, but out of the business. I gather he and Ed Jurak are doing some projects together.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:25 pm

Don Prentice was a LEGEND in Prince George and one of the hardest working PD's in the business.
He died far too young, and he was also an honest guy.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:46 pm

johnsykes wrote: BTW, anyone know if Ron Carabine is still alive?? he was the GM at CKVN/CFUN late 60's to early 70's

Hmmm, I was myself, just recently, thinking about Mr. Carabine and remembering what a sweet ol' guy he was (his longtime secretary Joanie was pretty sweet too!). Mr. C. was in the front corner office at 1900 West 4th until at least 1980 and was getting pretty much on in years then, a quarter century ago. I expect he may have passed on by now. I'd love to have rounded some of the old gang and have thrown him a big old wake. It's only fair. Over the years he threw us some pretty nice Christmas parties up at North Van's Canyon Gardens. That place is gone now too, sort of. It's been torn down and replaced by a housing developement of the same name. Ron liked booking the Christmas parties there as it was close enough for him to walk over from his house.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:11 pm

You can hear a reference to Ron near the end of an aircheck on this site, at http://www.radiowest.ca/airchecks07.html

Lets see if I can recite that part from memory: "they called in the Carrabine Fix-It Shop, and they fixed it up good."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:42 pm

johnsykes wrote: Clark Gray stayed after the CFUN to CKVN switch and was part of Bruce Hood's news team on the Voice of News format. He was one of the 26 given the boot on a Friday afternoon, I think, in March of 1971 maybe??

I started at CKVN August 15, 1969.....but I'd been told the news format had been going a lot longer than six weeks....June 30 really the changeover date?

The blowout was mid March 1970 John.

Prior to the July 1, 1969 change to CKVN and Voice Of News identity, C-FUN had morning, noon-hour and pm drive newsblocks.

After July 1, the news blocks were expanded and more talk programming was added...stuff like Dr. Hathaway and the Horoscope Club ...

Hopefully you didn't get one of the ungly Peugeot's from the news car fleet.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:13 am

So it took me seven months to blow the format out the window with my sports coverage!
Seemed longer for obvious reasons.

The first two weeks I was there, they had me reading news in the evenings with Bob Ireland so I could get accustomed to the format etc. My first newscast I read contained that wonderful name of the town near Long Beach on Vancouver Island....it begins with a U
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:33 am

Would that be U-CLUE-LET by any chance?
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 am

Yes, I did buy one of those amazing Peugeots....mobile 4 for $500. Traded it in at Brown Bros. Ford on a new Cortina six months later....got a grand for it.

How about You-Cool-It.....errrr.....what's that town called Bob? oh, ok!

Just thought of it....Bob Ireland....another newsman who did well....London correspondent for Canadian & U.S. networks
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History