Jim Kidd

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Jim Kidd

Postby TOYTRUCK1944 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I was going through your site looking for certain names from the past, and came across the name of Jim Kidd, and the question, "where is he and what did he do". I met Jim in Montreal about 1968 when I joined the Montreal Vintage Music Society. I was the baby of the group that lived in the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's. Jim had many programs at CFCF, where he was program director, but his best were the Big band show, and Bridge to Dreamland, complete with airchecks from the early 1940's. He played these with his own commentary filling in the gaps. I let my Reel to Reel run in the early 60's :recording bits and parts of these shows as well as weather reports and commercials.. I dropped out of the group in 1977, while Jim was the expert deluxe, keeping the ship afloat,musically. I heard that he bought a station in Eastern Ontario, and that was the last I heard of him. Final note...imagine a Clint Eastwood with glasses and a discography under his arm !
TOYTRUCK1944

Re: Jim Kidd

Postby PMC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 am

TOYTRUCK1944 wrote:I was going through your site looking for certain names from the past, and came across the name of Jim Kidd, and the question, "where is he and what did he do". I met Jim in Montreal about 1968 when I joined the Montreal Vintage Music Society. I was the baby of the group that lived in the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's. Jim had many programs at CFCF, where he was program director, but his best were the Big band show, and Bridge to Dreamland, complete with airchecks from the early 1940's. He played these with his own commentary filling in the gaps. I let my Reel to Reel run in the early 60's :recording bits and parts of these shows as well as weather reports and commercials.. I dropped out of the group in 1977, while Jim was the expert deluxe, keeping the ship afloat,musically. I heard that he bought a station in Eastern Ontario, and that was the last I heard of him. Final note...imagine a Clint Eastwood with glasses and a discography under his arm !

I remember Jim Kidd. He lived in the west end of Montreal, in a burb called Dollard Des Ormeau. A great human being, that let me audition for a job at CFCF, in 1968. He told me if I could crack a smile on the operator's face, then the job was mine... I didn't crack the smile or get the job... the operators nickname was `stoneface' :D

I don't remember if it was Jim himself or another that claimed it took two moving vans to move his record collection from Winnipeg to Montreal. Jim was the Jack Cullen of CFCF etc.
PMC

Postby TOYTRUCK1944 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:27 pm

re..two moving vans to move Jim Kidd's collection. It is probably true ! In 1970, I was in a small town outside of Boston, Quincy Mass. and I was going through the typical vinyls that were for sale.This was an old store, old fixtures, old staff, old everything. From out of the blue I asked the salesman if he had any 78's lying around. The answer was a dream come true! "Yes, sir... a basement full...never been used, and all in original packaging. When I mentioned this to my young bride, ( remember this was 40 years ago!)...(she was a great diplomat) she sweetly replied...NO way!. When I returned to Montreal, I told Jim of the find; he rented a trailer, and drove down to Quincy.

Jim was a real sport...after going through the stacks and stacks, and more stack, Jim gave me a select pile of Albums, including Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall Album, which to this day has never been played !

One of Jim's favorite riddles...What is a record collector"s favorite food...drumroll, please...
A banana because you can still eat it with dirty hands while you check old labels
When I said Jim appeared like Clint Eastwood, I meant Dirty Harry,
TOYTRUCK1944

Postby JamesKidd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:31 am

It's me. . .Jim Kidd, ex CFCF Montreal! I had no idea anyone would want to find me. I'm now in real estate with Royal Lepage in Toronto. My website is www.beachesandbluffs.com where you can reach me. My email is james@pathcom.com
I look forward from hearing from any of my previous listeners. .seems like a thousand years ago!
JamesKidd

Postby wer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:45 pm

TOYTRUCK1944 wrote:I met Jim in Montreal about 1968 when I joined the Montreal Vintage Music Society. I was the baby of the group that lived in the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's.

Hi TT, since i left Canada in 1971 i was a member of the MVMS at the time you joined. I take it from your nick that you are vintage 1944, and so am i.
Of course my memory is a bit hazy (due to time and age), but for the heck of me i can't remember anybody my age.
I had the pleasure of talking to Jim Kidd - whom i listened to extensively on CFCF - a few days ago and learned that a few of the original members of the MVMS are continuing the tradition as the WEST MISSISSAUGA JAZZ MUDDIES, and hold monthly meetings in the Toronto area.

Living in Spain now, but hope that i will find an opportunity to visit Toronto in the near future to attend one of the meetings a refresh some pleasant memories.

Cheers, Werner
wer

Return to Radio People History