71 Years Ago Today: Ted Rogers' Death

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

71 Years Ago Today: Ted Rogers' Death

Postby jon » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I've talked about the death of Ted Rogers, Sr. 71 years ago today, in Today in Canadian Broadcast History, this morning. But I thought it would be interesting to see what was said about him when he died.

Here are two articles from the Globe and Mail, on May 8, 1939, the first, an editorial, and the second, the "official" article.

jon
Advanced Member

Re: 71 Years Ago Today: Ted Rogers' Death

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 pm

You had me going there for a moment

Edward Samuel Rogers ( 1900-1939 )
Edward Samuel Rogers, Jr. ( 1933-2008 )
Edward Samuel Rogers 111 ( 1969-
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu May 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Sadly, the next item published in the Globe and Mail was a series of ads in the business section asking for creditors to contact some lawyer. Signs of things to come. Ted Jr.'s Mother ended up selling pretty much everything that Ted Sr. had built, including CFRB, just to scrape up enough money to live.

Interesting that the articles never mentioned the invention of radio transmitters that ran on AC instead of DC, a harder problem than AC radio receivers, no doubt. Or Ted Sr.'s cutting edge work in Radar, although that was likely the subject of a gag order with WWII so close at hand.

I wonder if Ted III has a son named Edward??
jon
Advanced Member

The fourth!!

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Edward and his wife Suzanne have three children; Chloé, Edward and Jack. They live in Toronto.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I met Mr. Rogers a number of times, both in Toronto and here in Vancouver...and although he was always hazy on the face, he was up on what my role was. I feel nostalgic and kind of sad at reading these kinds of stories, because leaders like Rogers and his late Father come along rarely.
Canada is usually a nation of Followers. Rogers - love him or not, was a leader - just like his Father.
I feel very lucky to have enjoyed some time with him and was sad when he passed, not that long ago.

Reminds me again - be nice to your friends and savour it ALL, bruddah'.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History