Terry McManus

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Terry McManus

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 pm

jon wrote: Terry McManus exuded more feeling out of his "computer-generated" voice that he produced for all of KOL-FM's automation.

Sorry to interrupt your thread, but is this the same Terry McManus that worked at CFCF as the sales manager ?.... the guy that sold air conditioners to eskimos ? :D
PMC

Re: Terry McManus

Postby jon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I thought this made more sense as a separate thread.

Terry McManus was the Production Genius, and Voice, during the KOL glory years of the late 1960s and early 1970s. He also did middays on air at first, then began appearing, as Jimmy Stalwart, as co-host of mornings with Lan Roberts, eventually dropping his own air shift. He was the original voice of Jimmy in Lan's Mr. Science & Jimmy episodes, though Lan would do the voice himself if Terry wasn't around.

Other than a short period with Lan on-air in San Francisco, I always understood that Terry lived in the Seattle area. So, I really doubt he was PMC's Inuit salesman.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Not sure if this will help, but here is a picture of Terry originally from a KOL record chart, courtesy Radiofan:

jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Not the same guy. The Terry McManus that I know, I consider to be one of my mentors in broadcasting. As I stated he was the sales manager at CFCF in Montreal during the late 60's and 70's. An amazing guy !

There was no negative intent in the reference to `eskimos' .Terry did sell the air conditioners, because he was working for the Hudson Bay Company at that time.
PMC

Return to Radio People History