Paul Carson dies

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Paul Carson dies

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Bob Mackin (jr) is reporting tonight that Paul Carson has lost his battle with cancer.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Paul Carson dies

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that...My condolences to his family and friends.
He was one of my favorites at Sports Page back in the 80's and 90's.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Paul Carson - Morning show and news director CKEK Cranbrook 1970-72; sportscaster CJVI Victoria 1972-74; sportscaster CKDA Victoria 1974-75; news and sports reporter/host CHEK-TV Victoria 1975-80; sports director/anchor CKVU-TV Vancouver 1980-99; President Grand Slam Radio Inc. (purchaser of CKST Vancouver)/founder TEAM 1040 Sports Radio (CKST) 1999-2001; afternoon show host with Jay Triano CKST 2001; marketing and sales CKST 2002-09; VP marketing California Cult Classics, North Vancouver 2009-current
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Best Racketball player I ever met. I was no slouch and he made me look like a schnook. Talented, personable, professional, sweet, in short - we just lost one of the finest in the business.

I was lucky to have even met Paul Carson.

If you worked with him, you know what I mean.

There are a lot of upset people right now, and my heart goes out to Paul's wife and Family and also to Frankie Gigliottti and the rest of Paul's many friends.

Classy man.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Ditto, Hag, it's horrible horrible news.
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 pm

I never met Paul, but always heard that he was a 'stand up guy'.

Wayne Cox passes this along:
Known him for years.  Back in the old CKVU days of the early Sports Page.  Big guy, full of the big laugh..Hell of a hockey player, though I never saw him play in his Junior days.  A good guy.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:10 am

Veteran sports broadcaster and "father" of Vancouver's Team 1040 Radio Paul Carson died Tuesday after an 11-month battle with pancreatic cancer.

The 60-year-old father of two passed away at 6:30 p.m. at Lions Gate Hospital surrounded by friends and family.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Veteran+Team ... z18qirfdSR

Thanks to Bob Mackin and Gord Lansdell for this backup info last night.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:00 am

I didn't know Paul Carson personally but he struck me as a consummate professional. He certainly had an eye for talent when you look back on the all-star lineup he had on Sports Page: John Shorthouse, Don Taylor, Dave Randorf, Barry McDonald, Sean McCormick...I know there are others. And then the founding of TEAM 1040. What a great legacy in such a short lifetime!
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I am rather shocked to see few posts about Carson.

This guy was a big part of this market and in particular Sports Talk.

Paul Carson and his ilk don't come down the pike very often.

:candlebig:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Paul R.I.P.

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I never had intended to say another word on this site after last night, until I heard of Paul's passing. I am deeply saddened to hear the news. Paul was always a consummate pro. He almost joined our team at CJOR in the mid-70's.....and he "almost" hired me at CKVU in 1985, until a certain young, better-looking, with TV-savvy guy named Don Taylor grabbed the bull by the horns.

I never felt slighted by losing that opportunity for one good reason. Paul Carson knew his stuff. This market is so much the better for his professional efforts over the years. May his family be consoled by the knowledge that he was loved by his peers.

Cancer is a terrible disease....it has taken a class guy from our midst.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I noticed that the other board is short a few too. I could say sports guys don't hang here. I could say Paul's crowd are
not board types.

I saw alot of quotes in the papers and tweets on the twitter board - much is changing in the "ether".

Boards are places for people with thick skins - every day someone here is asking someone to leave. Too bad really.

Respect is needed.

It would be nice if dr sport, mckeech, forstie, etc would hang here but alas - they do not.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:26 pm

I think respect or lack of it is why many people don't post or have stopped posting here.
This same discussion is going on at another board that I frequent, an international one for people interested in audio and recording.
Newbies who know nothing trash industry professionals, causing a lot of them to leave and thereby weaken the chances of others to learn from those who are doing it and have done it and have the gold and platinum records to prove it.
It's been suggested there that people should post using their real names so that others can Google who the posters are and what qualifications they have.
It's fine to have a discussion and express different points of view but to simply come here and trash people is not cool.
"Truth is the ultimate defense."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:52 am

I too recall the days of "the Page" - when 11 pm was sacrosanct. Paul Carson made it that way! I was a listener to CKST as it evolved into TEAM radio and recall Paul Carson as being one of the very first voices heard on the station.

Obviously well loved by his peers, and now immediately missed. Thanks to David Pratt and Don Taylor (among others) who spent time recalling the life and times of Paul Carson.

Thanks for many great TV and Radio memories.

Rest In Peace Paul. Gone far too soon.
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby ChestForRadio » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 am

World's most infectious laugh.

Cue this video to 3:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YN-a-sD5g4

RIP Poppa Page
ChestForRadio

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:50 am

To Mike Cleaver - without reactivating the old - name the broadcaster debate - I still think it could be set up somehow somewhere
that Sykes and a few of the older guys could reflect in the privacy of not allowingt just anyone into the thread. Might be possible - a thread
with a password that he or admin gives out.

The open forum does allow just about anyone to attack anyone - justifiably or not.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio People History