Why No One Wants 530 KHz

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Why No One Wants 530 KHz

Postby jon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

With the extension of the AM Broadcast Band, AKA Medium Wave, down to 530 KHz now at least 20 years old, I had long wondered why no one put a 50KW flamethrower on the frequency and used that huge groundwave coverage to saturate a huge geographic area.

Today, I finally have an answer, in the text of the CRTC application by CIAO in Brampton, Ontario, to switch to a single tower non-directional configuration now that Windsor has left 540.

530 kHz is a unique frequency, because it is adjacent to the NAVTEX maritime weather transmissions on 518 kHz. Due to this adjacency, the International Telecommunications Union ("ITU") restricts the maximum transmitter power to 1 kilowatt day and 250 watts night. Our broadcast consultant approached Industry Canada to ask if it were possible to negotiate higher domestic daytime power by coordination with the FCC, and/or whether a higher night power limit could be broached at the World Administrative Radio Conference (ITU-WARC). In response to that request, Industry Canada indicated that there was no appetite to pursue such a request.

To make the most of that limited power, they are building a 225.6 metre (nearly 750 feet) tower.

Until an hour ago, I had not realized that CIAO is the former CHIC, home of the famous All-Female Air Staff of the late 1960s. The CRTC application quoted above indicates they are still at the same transmitter site a half century later. At one time, they were running 5000 watts out of 10 towers there, not on 530 obviously, as that was long before 530 was added to the Broadcast Band.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Why No One Wants 530 KHz

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Fascinating! I didn't know 530 had such a restriction. There is an aviation weather station at 529 kHz broadcasting from Level Island, Alaska. I wonder if it faces similar restrictions or is it by nature such a low power service that it would never matter.

In 1990 I heard CKHL High Level, AB, on 530 when it was relaying CKYL. "Very faint" is what I logged for it; that was at night so it must have been at 250 Watts.

Nowadays, sometimes there is a faint carrier on 530. I don't know if it's CIAO or a much closer TIS. When conditions are really interesting there are carriers on 529, 530, and 531; from Alaska, an unknown North American, and an unknown trans-Pacific, respectively.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News