Why is Country Branding so Boring?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Why is Country Branding so Boring?

Postby jon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:42 pm

On Dan Sys' Canadian Radio News Facebook page, Bill Defibaugh asked the question: "Shouldn't we all be asking ourselves why such a ho-hum, hum-drum branding on many country stations these days in Canada? "Country 93.3" "country 101.1" "country 106.7" "Country 104" Etc?"
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Why is Country Branding so Boring?

Postby pave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:33 pm

That is an excellent consideration, jon.

Given that "Country" is an accepted term for a.) a music format, and, b.) a lifestyle, the addition of a frequency spot hardly does much more for the station - other than establish the dial position of a station that plays... uhhh...Country.

In many markets, particularly those with little or no format competition, perhaps that's quite enough - at least in naming terms.

Besides, the real branding starts after the name decision, anyway.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:56 pm

107.9 The Stud Farm has a nice ring to it.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Edmonton has long had competition in the Country music format, so we at least have some decent branding. Over the years, we have had Kissin' Country, Big Earl and even a station that actually still uses its call letters: CFCW. In the surrounding areas, we have seen The One and Kat Country.

In retrospect, the most humorous has been right here in Edmonton: "See Jack's" but they never told us what it is that Jack has that is worth looking for. That was CJAX-FM.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

I like slowhand's contribution.

I'm wondering if a country station targeted at the gay community could be branded as, oh... I dunno... "Sidesaddle 96"? "Caballero Ole 103"?

Just speculatin'...
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

And here I thought people tuned in for the music?
Branding is nothing but lipstick and mascara.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 am

The way most stations execute their "branding" processes is consistent with the comments of Howaboutthat.

Radio "branding", however, when successful, is about an organization generating a powerful emotional bond between a listener and itself. And, to be successful, this is a process that has to happen over a short period of time. Having to wait years for such a bond to be developed is hardly an ideal or profitable situation.

That strikes me as a horrible irony - given that radio stations supposedly have smart marketers and communicators on board. I mean, they are supposed to excel at this stuff, are they not?
pave
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:42 pm

The branding is boring so it can match the product. What's called Country today, was Adult Contemporary in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Air Supply, Kenny Nolan, David Soul, Barry Manilow, Maureen McGoven and many others would fit right in on any country playlist today.

Bring back some twang and then the stations could at least include a geetar in their logo.

Also, there's very little competition in most markets for Country stations.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm

I still haven't yet recovered from the end of the Cat Country network, still missing it so much, but what about the names those stations have become? CHSP (CHLW) The Spur, CKWB (CFOK) The Range...

What about ones that just use a portion of their callsign? CKYL YL Country, CIXM XM Country, CKGY KG Country, CJJR JRfm, CJGX GX94 to name a few.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:05 am

Right as rain Dial Twister,however the adult contemporary sounds of those decades were much more melodic. I just hate the fact that corporate clowns slap a "Country Whatever" label on music that is far from country,and much closer to hot AC ...call it "Twang-Rock'...and it's being aimed at 20 something females. The other night, in the car for over an hour and a half, the radio "search" button got a real workout trying to find a country station where "beats" didn't outweigh fiddles and steel guitars.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby TRENT310 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Music as an art form is continuously evolving. There is no flowchart to determine what is and what isn't a particular genre.

The first time I heard Chicken and Biscuits (Colt Ford) I didn't know what to think, but yes, country-rap is a thing now, and other artists are doing similar things because it brings the fans.
You may disagree with that. That's fine, but the fan base shows that there are folks who enjoy that kind of entertainment. It's growing on me too.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 pm

I doubt that's what The Possum had in mind when he asked who's gonna fill their shoes and I know Hank wouldn't have done it that way.

Thank goodness for Willie's Roadhouse on SiriusXM.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News