New Peak morning show - first week

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

New Peak morning show - first week

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Any thoughts on Kevin and Sonia's first week on The Peak? Judging by the station's Facebook page it's going to take them some time to win over the fan base.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Re: New Peak morning show - first week

Postby Alan A » Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 am

No matter what they do, it's going to be a long hard climb to get any traction. No fault on Kevin and Sonia's part, the non mass appeal of the station will be the culprit.

Rogers and Sonic haven't exactly set the market ablaze with the million dollar Kid Carson show, and they're playing the hits, not a stack of unknown material that has limited appeal.

Pattison hired the very successful SUN FM Morning team of Kevin & Sonia because they were kicking the shit out of Pattison's stations in Kelowna, and they wanted them out of the market.

I'm sure Pattison's underperforming Q 103 in Kelowna has been on their radar for some time now and plans were laid down long ago to find an actual PD and a Morning Show.

Would it not have made more sense to keep Kevin & Sonia in a market where they are very successful and their audience would likely follow them rather than ship them off to the big city
where at best they might get mediocre ratings?

I guess decisions like that are made by the same folks who decided Kelowna isn't a Country town. I guess Newcap wrecked that theory.

Some free advice. Before Newcap scoops you in Calgary and blows up AMP, it might be time to kill off KOOL, flip it to Country (105 could use some competition). Move Dan Freeman back to Kelowna
and reunite him with Susan Knight at the revamped Q 103 (they had quite a successful Morning Show at Sun FM prior to Kevin & Sonia).
Alan A

Return to General Radio News