Canadian Radio Stations cry poor - DON'T BELIEVE IT

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Canadian Radio Stations cry poor - DON'T BELIEVE IT

Postby hagopian » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 am

From yer pals at the CRTC:

"Over the past year, Canadian radio stations cut their expenses by $2 million...

As a result, profits before interest and taxes (PBIT) improved slightly from $321 to $328 million, increasing the PBIT margin from 19.8% to 20.2%."

>>This is obscene, considering the Stations have cut and chopped and hacked, to make management rich and the shareholders happy.

What about the freaking staff!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: Canadian Radio Stations cry poor - DON'T BELIEVE IT

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:26 pm

As long as people keep listening they can do whatever they want.

They can "hire" interns for nothing and kids to work for minimum wage.

They can put a mediocre product on the air that costs them as little as possible.

Upset with the current state of the radio biz?

Blame the millions of listeners that keep tuning in each and every day.

Those listeners have all kinds of options but they chose not to use them. They don't really care about music and are happy to listen to whatever the music conglomerates are pushing at the moment. They don't care about news unless it really isn't news. Inane banter about what some so-called personality did on the weekend seems to be right up their alley. Commercial loads that are ridiculous don't seem to be a problem either so Corus and Rogers just keep giving it to them. If I were them I'd squeeze even more because it seems that listeners will listen no matter what.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Tuned. You are closer to what's happening today, than I am, and I can buy a lot of your arguments.

I listen and shake my head. The people I hear would never have been allowed near a mike in a market this size, not that many years ago.

Thursday - ratings day.

Bets?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Even as I accept the criticisms (above) and am always eager to add a few more, I think what really stops these boys & girls at head offices from taking any affirmative action is that they honestly do not know what to do first, or next, that will enhance their positions.

Nobody, especially at the corporate level, is against wiping out some competition and taking their candy - if only they knew how, specifically.

Meanwhile, "poor" is a relative term.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 pm

There is plenty of business to go around in the major markets for the handful of big companies that control the sticks. They don't need to bother trying to go after each other and they don't. Everybody is fat and happy. It only gets interesting when you get into markets that have "too many" stations that they have to make an effort. Corus and Rogers will continue to hack and chop as long as people keep listening. If Rogers and Corus can convince Harper to gut the CBC they eliminate a tough competitor and make even more dough. The reality is that most people are sheep that are easily herded.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:50 pm

In this case, I respectfully disagree with the "sheeple" premise. In other contexts, I would gleefully rush to ridicule and judgement.

Here's my rationale: When it comes to commercial radio - no matter which corporate entity owns the joints - they are all running on the same model; they are all on the same page. Audiences are supplied with no alternatives. Not real alternatives. Everybody is getting some form of vanilla. (Classic Hits Vanilla, AAA Vanilla, Country Vanilla, Pop Vanilla etc.)

As to whether there is enough to go around for everybody, especially in the majors: There is never enough. If these guys thought they could poison the others' wells and get away with it - they'd be skulking in the night right now as we sit back, consider and chat about the matter.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News