DJs "in" Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

DJs "in" Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Postby jon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm

A statement in a reelradio.com comment caught my attention this afternoon: "The RnR HOF has a special exhibit dedicated to disc jockeys but AFIK they do not induct DJs individually."

It was written in response to a question about Casey Kasem's status.

Going to the Hall's web site, all I could find was this list of Inductees, which does not appear to include any DJs: http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/

Although the word "included" is used instead of "inducted", this statement was published nearly two years ago in All Access: "[Marco] COLLINS and [Pat] O'DAY also have the distinct honor of being the only two DJs from the PACIFIC NORTHWEST to be included in the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME.", ref. - http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... co-collins

To further confuse matters, a look at Red Robinson's web site includes this quote: "He was elected into the Rock’n'Roll Hall of Fame in 1994."

All I can add is that there is a spot in the museum where 60 seconds clips of DJs are available for visitors to play, as I was once asked for some airchecks for that purpose.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: DJs "in" Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:19 pm

I've been there. There is a DJs section. In it from Canada are Red Robinson, Jay Nelson and David Marsden.
Some argue that Jay wasn't Canadian but he did hold dual citizenship.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News