Is Music Radio Dead?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Is Music Radio Dead?

Postby Coolcat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 pm

With the advent of services like Pandora where by giving a thumbs up or down to your first 40 song samples it can pretty well determine your ideal music playlist- music radio has to be on its last legs. Affordable streaming to the automobile is only a few years away and once that happens music radio will be competing with services all over the world including Pandora like services. Sadly I cant really see it surviving much more past the end of the decade.

The only radio that will survive is forms of talk radio like news/weather/traffic/sports and some morning shows with personality (not sure if that is even around anymore). Otherwise music radio will be delegated to the same cupboard as the 35mm camera.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Re: Is Music Radio Dead?

Postby DirkSteele » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:14 am

*Yawn

Another post about another specific product that will "kill radio".

I love these posts. In one way, they are absolutely correct, in another, they are absolutely wrong.

I've lived through plenty of threats in my career to the solvency of radio. I remember way back that music services like Galaxy would be the death of radio. Why would any business keep local radio on when they can get no commercials and a genre based playlist "perfect for your customers"?

The internet in general. We weren't sure why at that point because it was too new, but those drummed out of the business holding resentment said that's it for radio.

Ipods were next. Why would anyone listen to radio when you can download (steal) 4000 songs and take them with you everywhere?

How about satellite radio? Oh man, was that EVER going to kill us. And look today....best data I can find is still under 3 Million Canadian subscribers and around 25 Million US subscribers. Put that against populations of 35 Million and 300 Million, and it isn't even a 10 share. In the meantime "have you listened to radio this past week" still scores huge.

Now streaming media. Pandora. Internet enabled cars. Most cars right now are internet enabled by streaming your phone. "Affordable" equals what? That extra $5 a month your cell provider will charge to enable your tablet on your plan for those that can't figure out mobile hot spots? Streaming is in cars today. Even some base model cars offer Bluetooth streaming from your phone. So who's going to pay?

There have always been "new threats" to radio. Go back to the invention of television and I'm sure someone was writing about the death of radio. 8-Tracks in cars. People probably really crapped their pants about that because ONLY radio was in cars up to that point. How about Sony Walkman? Portable music. That was going to kill radio too. Then Sony put tuners in the devices (I had the Walkman FM1...it was the size of a softcover book).

Just the same old garbage. The part that is absolutely correct is radio does need to offer something besides music. Personal connection, through information, entertainment, community involvement....whatever. That is the key. Provide something that doesn't come from a 100% music service, and I don't just mean sell lines hooked to traffic and news (you'll lose to the internet). Has to be a connection. A bond has to be created like the bond for a favourite TV show. That bond means engagement. When you have engagement, commercials sell the product that is being advertised...which is the real goal anyway, correct?

We'll wait another 10 years to see what is going to kill radio next.
DirkSteele
Advanced Member

Postby Bigbangboom » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 pm

DirkSteele wrote:*Yawn

We'll wait another 10 years to see what is going to kill radio next.

BRAVO
Bigbangboom
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Music radio is being kept alive by artificial means.
Even while on oxygen and being fed through a tube, radio still produces blood - which can be harvested to the delight of only the few at the top of the tier.
If the question was framed as: Is music radio still a vibrant and influential force in society?, the answer would be a resounding "Not a chance!"
Maybe it's just as well that radio is in a coma - it might not hear the ridicule, sarcasm, cynicism and satire leveled on it.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Tuberadio » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Don't see it croaking too soon really, if it does and CKUA is the only survivor I could handle that. Lots of new music and no "top" forty good stuff.
Live in studio performances and Bubba too!
Tuberadio

Return to General Radio News