Siriux-XM Canada Hit with 127% Increase in Copyright Fees

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Siriux-XM Canada Hit with 127% Increase in Copyright Fees

Postby jon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm

TD is still recommending investment in Sirius-XM Canada, but did include this cautionary note this morning:

Starting August 13, 2014, Sirius XM will have to pay royalties to foreign sound recording rights holders (mostly U.S.) under the terms of a new World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty. XSR plans to increase the Music Royalty and Regulatory Fee (MRF) that it passes on to subscribers to $2.27 per month, from about $1.00 currently. However, it could take over a year for this increased fee to flow through as subscribers gradually renew their contracts (with many on annual subscriptions).

Not sure if they have raised their prices yet, but, if not, it would be wise to lock into a longer term contract if you have any interest in satellite radio.

Be sure to read the fine print, as I know that the Lifetime contract is only for as long as you own the vehicle. Not sure how they know when you sell your vehicle, but that is what the fine print says.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Siriux-XM Canada Hit with 127% Increase in Copyright Fee

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

My lifetime subscription is associated with a removable Sirius radio not my vehicle. The fine print includes allowances for up to three equipment swaps.

In terms of non-removable radios - "Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective."
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News