Rogers Not Getting "All" NHL Broadcast Rights

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Rogers Not Getting "All" NHL Broadcast Rights

Postby jon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

This item from last week's Broadcast Dialogue appears to shatter the previous belief that Rogers had signed a deal with the NHL that would see the get All broadcast rights in Canada.
Corus and the Edmonton Oilers have a new multi-year extension that will see 630 CHED Edmonton remain as the flagship station of all Oilers radio broadcasts through 2020. Corus also has the exclusive radio rights to the NHL team. CHED has been the radio broadcast home of the Oilers since 1995.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Rogers Not Getting "All" NHL Broadcast Rights

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am

I don't really understand your post.

Rogers owns all the national rights. Corus has the rights to the Oilers just like Bell has the rights to the Canucks.

TSN/RDS also have regional TV rights to Montreal/Toronto/Winnipeg/Ottawa.

Was pretty common knowledge.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:19 pm

TSN has actually relinquished its Canadiens rights, and in fact I believe there will be *no* regional English-language Habs package this year. (TVA has the French regional package)
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm

WheresFredTaylor wrote:I don't really understand your post.

Rogers owns all the national rights. Corus has the rights to the Oilers just like Bell has the rights to the Canucks.

TSN/RDS also have regional TV rights to Montreal/Toronto/Winnipeg/Ottawa.

Was pretty common knowledge.

Here is the original thread that started the discussion of Rogers having "first right of refusal" on all local NHL radio play by play:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16713

As you will see, it was a Marty Forbes Edmonton Sun column that started the discussion. I even asked the question (but got no answer) in that thread:
jon wrote:Does the Rogers "master agreement" with the Oilers and the NHL see them more or less automatically acquire the Radio Play-by-Play rights when the contract with CHED expires?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tenax » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Jon, the answer re: radio play by play rights is no, Rogers does not automatically get. TV is TV, radio is radio. The team negotiates for radio rights in each teams market individually.
Tenax

Return to General Radio News