Where Does Radio Fit in Tomorrow's Cars?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Where Does Radio Fit in Tomorrow's Cars?

Postby jon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Companies race to bring the Web behind the wheel
Jacqueline Nelson
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Jul. 30 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Jul. 30 2014, 4:31 PM EDT

A new wave of technology is set to revolutionize the experience of drivers and passengers on road trips, errands and even the commute to work.

Vehicle manufacturers and technology companies are combining expertise to develop a more connected car –- bringing Internet access and smartphone-like features into cars and trucks. Other companies, such as auto insurers and app developers, are also integrating in-car connectivity into their businesses.

This shift is expected to generate major profits in the coming years, with global revenues projected to reach $20-billion (U.S.) by 2018, according to a recent report from Juniper Research, a mobile and telecom analysis group.

The report looked at the rise of telematics –- the use of wireless and digital technologies that send and receive information within a vehicle. That includes smartphone-compatible devices built into the dashboard of a new family minivan, to commercial trucking companies tracking the movement of its vehicles over wireless networks.

In-vehicle apps will become “widespread in the next five years” according to Juniper, both through built-in technology embedded in the head units of new cars, as well as through tethering smartdevices to their cars. Many vehicle apps will be free to download.

Apple Inc. recently introduced an operating system called CarPlay that lets drivers to use their iPhone through their car’s media and control systems built into the dashboard. A driver can send a message or choose music by voice command or get directions quickly. Apps that play baseball game audio, digital radio and podcasts were also released.

The system will be offered in 29 major car brands, including Ford, BMW and Toyota, as well as in aftermarket systems made by companies such as Pioneer and Alpine, Apple chief executive officer Tim Cook said.

Telematics will be embedded in 88 per cent of new cars globally by 2025, according to research by Ernst & Young.

Google Inc. formed the Open Automotive Alliance with some major vehicle manufacturers in January to bring its Android platform into vehicles and make car technology “safer and more intuitive.” The company went one step further in May when it unveiled a prototype of an electric car with no steering wheel that can drive itself.

Roads filled with autonomous autos are coming soon. The British government said Wednesday that driverless cars will be allowed on roads from January, 2015. Business Secretary Vince Cable said the move would put Britain “at the forefront of this transformational technology and opening up new opportunities for our economy and society.”

The Ministry of Transportation in Ontario (MTO) proposed the first Canadian pilot program to safely test autonomous vehicles in January this year.

“The province recognizes the importance of new vehicle technology, especially if it can expand mobility options for Ontarians, but safety is a top priority,” said Bob Nichols, spokesman for the MTO.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Where Does Radio Fit in Tomorrow's Cars?

Postby jon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Sirius/XM is gambling big bucks that their satellite platform can more cost-effectively deliver all of this than cellular air time. They've signed deals with car manufacturers and bought companies that already have car company deals.

On the other hand, I haven't heard of any on-air radio stations preparing themselves for this in-car technology described in the Globe and Mail article above. Except perhaps vaguely in the CBC's digital mission statements.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Stations still figure having a website that streams the signal should just about do it.

And to some degree, I suspect that might do - for awhile.

What they do not plan for is how to compete in an environment that was almost exclusively their home base - vehicle interiors.

Competing with one extra device in the car that plays music lists was bad enough. Wait 'till they get a load of what's coming.

Meanwhile, even as I am typing this out, I could be monitoring a radio station. Question for me is: Why bother...?

In the car, I am a little more open and tolerant, but only because radio is a passive, listening medium - and I can control the freqs and volume with relative ease.

Stations that fail to get their programming and commercial production sides in order will, I predict, be suffering the very hard rain that's gonna fall - likely well before The Rapture.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Regarding satellite radio, I know of no one who actually pays for this "service." The receiver usually came already installed in the vehicle they purchased along with a "free trial" period.
Many tell me that when the "free trial" ended, they were billed for monthly payment, which they ignored and the service provider did not cut them off, obviously hoping that by continuing the "free" service, some might eventually come around and pay.
The Teslas come with a totally integrated information system which includes all types of communications but as far as I can determine, do not include satellite receivers.
Check out Teslas 20 minute video on the car's interior systems on the corporate website.
It's just like driving the Star Ship Enterprise.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:27 pm

My comments (above) about Sirius/XM were not referring to satellite radio. The company has big plans, and has bought some of the auto industry suppliers to help push those plans forward, to deliver Internet service to vehicles via their existing satellite/terrestrial data infrastructure, rather than the traditional approach of using the cellular networks for the wireless providers.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm not sure how much bandwidth that Sirius/XM could provide for internet services to cars. Hughes uses satellites in the US to provide a horrible internet service to residences with zero other options.
Drivers will still want local content so if the local "radio" stations are providing it you'll be listening via a wireless connection instead of from a transmitter. I already do that when I want to listen to 1040. I use tunein in the car instead of listening off air. Unless someone can figure out a way to re-purpose AM and FM transmissions they will go away. Companies that paid hundreds of millions of dollars for "licenses" will likely find the value of those licenses go to zero. What's that going to do to Clear Channel stock?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 am

I suspect, as these issues sort out, that the stress will be coming from areas other than aligning with transmission platforms - access to the radio stations' signals.

Enormous pressures will be brought forward by radio's gross and ugly (some, like myself, would say "criminal") lack of performance in programming and spot generation.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News