"Christmas Is" Still Being Aired

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

"Christmas Is" Still Being Aired

Postby jon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:31 am

Interesting to hear what is going on elsewhere on Corus AM stations, if others would like to post what they are hearing. I assume the FMs are like here, with their regular music format.

At 10:20 a.m. Edmonton time Christmas morning, CHQT is running the regular iNews880 format.

CHED is running the older version of "Christmas Is" with Paul Preston, the late Robert O. Smith, and Ramona Mar doing the spoken word material between the music. And, I presume, Jim Hault doing his safe driving message(s).

CHED is also running commercials and News during the breaks.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: "Christmas Is" Still Being Aired

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:10 pm

No sign of "Christmas Is" on NW (thank God!). They appear to be running "best of" bit from the current lineup of talk shows A little Yecccford goes a long way at 8AM!

They did run Coast To Coast (time delayed by 2 hours) at Midnight probably until 6AM.

Back to Christmas Is, it was great when it was a brand new fully produced show back in 1972 ... something totally different at the time, written and produced by David Hoole.

Minor up dates were done yearly to add new music and update some bits etc. Several of us spent huge amounts of time dubbing, labeling and packing the 12 hour ( 24 x 7" tapes) shows for stations throughout Westerm Canada.

In Calgary at CHQR from 1983 - 1991, we never ran it. NW sent out the tapes every year, be we opted to just play music and greetings commercial free from 6PM Christmas Eve until Midnight Christmas Day.

If I ever hear that Pop Goes The Weasel music again, it'll be too soon!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby JMo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:49 am

Hello Radiowest gang!

Well I listened again this year for Christmas Is and to my disappointment it was not played. I recall it from the 70s and 80s and loved it. Yes they had some sour bits, but I loved the "home for Christmas" jingle, the Christmas facts to the "I saw three ships" segment, and the "what a year" segment (they say some big things of the year and end with, what a year, what a year Christmas 1965).

Well I have to ask those out there, where can I get the clips of the segments noted above!? My family LOVED the Christmas facts to "I saw 3 ships" and guessing the years of the what a year. Is there a way to get them (the older versions? This is purely for my family and would be a great Christmas present if I could recreate the radio shows on a CD. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. I have one recorded on a cassette but lost it and would like to hear them again.

Merry Christmas all, and thanks for the any help. Cheers

J
JMo

Postby jon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Corus has never offered them for sale to the general public because of all the copyright clearances they would need to get for the music.

You can, however, listen to them on the Audio Vault of the stations that played "Christmas Is" this year. Cannot speak for the rest of them, but CHED has upgraded the audio quality significantly with the setup of a new AM receiver a year or so ago. Their Audio Vault goes back 14 days, so you still have a little time left to listen. They played the whole thing at least twice.

http://www.630ched.com/audio-vault/

After my original post, I found that CHQR Calgary and CJOB Winnipeg were also playing Christmas Is, but not in sync. That was especially odd for CHQR as they were simulcasting CHED's News every half hour, which would have needlessly complicated timing.

640 in Toronto was airing the same 3 hour medley of OTR material, which included Miracle on 34th Street, over and over and over again.

"What a Year" was voiced by Robert O. Smith around 1984 while he was still at CFMI.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby JMo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi Radiowest and jon

Sorry for the late thank you, but Thank you very much! I got to the CHED site and found it. Great stuff, I have mostly fond memories of Christmas Is. Thanks for the extra info as well. Cheers

JMo
JMo

Return to General Radio News