Re: SOWNY "Off The Air" temporarily

Postby Air Wave » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 am

Actually there's now a few other candidates for ugly step-sisterhood:

http://quadcities.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=49

http://members2.boardhost.com/scrapbook/index.html
Air Wave

Postby Ross Ewage » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:54 pm

I find it kind of funny that Ziggy's lack of creativity forced him to rip off the name of the Loblaw's Deli section as his nic.

If he frequented Canadian Tire he could have been Motomaster or maybe Life if he shopped at Shopper's Drug Mart.
Ross Ewage
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Wed May 27, 2015 8:36 am

Guess it had to happen eventually, here's what you get this morning (May 27th) when you try to access the SOWNY site:

SOWNY is Permanently Closed
Domain is for sale. $1000.00 CDN
Sale Inquries ONLY to dns@readyit.ca

The Ziggy troll had been especially repugnant the past few days, the combination of personal attacks aimed at others, plus his bizarre feces fetish, made the site unreadable. What was once a great source of information and discussion about radio is no more.

If this Ziggy (John Kato??) troll decides to set up residence on RadioWest, please do not engage or interact with him. Keep this troll at bay before he gets a chance to destroy another board.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed May 27, 2015 12:15 pm

One of the former SOWNY members is already looking at reviving the board, but wants a little time to think about it. "Biting off more than you can chew." is the concern.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby rhunter » Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 pm

I was a long time lurker on that board (was too intimated to sign up lol) and was shocked today when I heard Mike Stafford mentioned that a certain radio website was taken offline. I immediately knew he was referring to SOWNY :(

Anyone know what precipated the move? Stafford was talking about how people were going after his family, but I don't know if he meant in general, or in refernce to that site.

Hopefully it comes back.
rhunter

Postby jon » Wed May 27, 2015 2:41 pm

There is now an e-mail list you can sign up for. Details here:
http://members2.boardhost.com/scrapbook/index.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby aflem » Wed May 27, 2015 8:39 pm

For those who may be curious, here's a re-post (from the SOMF) of a letter sent to me by from the now former moderator of SOWNY, on why he decided to shut the board down. He asked that it be reproduced in its entirety, so here's the whole thing:

In a nutshell, I grew tired of dealing with 2 distinct groups of people: Group A spent a great deal of time baiting people, and Group B sent me endless e-mails and messages complaining about Group A. These two groups did not represent the majority of the board's users, but there were enough of them to make the job of moderating tiring. However, when I was deleting entire threads that had nothing to do with the topic of said thread, I decided enough was enough. I know I could've deleted the users who were causing the problems, I even banned a few of them for a short period of time. However, as I suspected, and as I told everyone who e-mailed me complaining about Group A, these users just registered using different e-mail addresses and started causing trouble again. That was the last straw, and I decided to pull the plug. I have no interest in giving the domain away after all the time I put into rebuilding the board, but I will entertain reasonable offers. It needs to be said that I did received a large number of e-mails from people over the period that I managed the board offering kinds words of support and thanks, and I want to tell those people that I'm sorry I couldn't continue on with the project.

And just as a matter of clarification, I have received no legal threats, no lawyers have called me.

va3qr
aflem

Postby jon » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Looks like it is gradually coming together here:
http://gta.boardhost.com/

Sadly, they are insisting on your birth date as part of their registration process, which may be OK in the U.S., but, in Canada, is considered Private Personal Data, as is your Social Insurance Number.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu May 28, 2015 7:24 pm

jon wrote:Sadly, they are insisting on your birth date as part of their registration process, which may be OK in the U.S., but, in Canada, is considered Private Personal Data, as is your Social Insurance Number.

Does anyone actually tell the truth when supplying such personal data to any site but the gummint's? Now, one could be accused of all sorts of nastiness of intent if one lies too much about one's age but, plus or minus a few years, or (at some point) a couple of decades, together with changing the month and day should help protect against ID theft.

Of course, one needs to keep track of such lies if one ever wants to verify oneself with the same site.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri May 29, 2015 12:19 am

Board is back up and running under the ownership of Iain Grant, long time CFRB employee.
Here's the url: Sowny.net
I'm hoping all the radio pros driven away by that "Z" asshole will now come back so an intelligent discussion about radio, tv and other media can continue.
Although focused on the Southern Ontario/Western New York area, Iain says discussion about radio and TV anywhere will be welcomed.
He's already indicated he won't put up with any shit.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News