Do We Need A Do Unto Others Statement Here

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Do We Need A Do Unto Others Statement Here

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

After reading the SOWNY thread i started looking through the Radio West site and could not find any code of conduct statement for users of this board. Is there such a thing somewhere on the site, if so perhaps it should be posted on the front page for all to see...sort of a - Do unto others - type of statement. and along with it a followup action statement stating what will happen to those who abuse this site.

I do think that Radio Fan and Jon along with the other administrators do a very good job of keeping RW a friendly place to visit and post... Thanks to all of you. TS
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Do We Need A Do Unto Others Statement Here

Postby jon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:27 am

When you Registered for an ID on this discussion forum, you agreed to the following terms that begin the Regristration Process:
RadioWest.ca - Registration

By accessing “RadioWest.ca” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “RadioWest.ca”, “http://www.radiowest.ca/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “RadioWest.ca”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “RadioWest.ca” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “RadioWest.ca” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “RadioWest.ca” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “RadioWest.ca” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks for the reminder Jon ... That statement and the diligent work of all who administer the site should keep the hate and discontent to a minimum. I can't imagine the ongoing work it takes to keep this board up and running...thanks
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:42 am

Do unto others???

Last time I looked, this was a radio discussion board, not the Bible (or wherever that came from)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:24 am

When I considered the headline for this thread I wanted to catch someones attention, and yes it is a biblical statement. I could have used - politeness statement, or consider others statement - I chose the above to provoke discussion on the subject of civility online in general and here on RW in particular. The floor is open....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:53 am

This is how I imagine a board admin trying to do his job.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 am

I've always wondered about the need for "pseudonyms" on boards like this. I think it'd be a much more civil environment if everyone used their real names (verified before joining). I've heard arguments that pseudonyms allow people to say things they wouldn't otherwise be able to share... but I think that's a pretty weak argument. In my limited experience on chat boards I've never seen venom or trolling come from a person who's not hiding behind a handle. Just my 2 cents worth...

Campbell McCubbin
(real name) :bag:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 pm

And here I thought Do Unto Others was a reference to a 1968 hit for Paul Revere & The Raiders!

Compared the the damage Ziggy did to SOWNY and the people he chased away, things are pretty good here.

Nothing like what we went through in the early days of PSR and a few other short lived boards. The insults were fast and furious. People were banned, IP addresses were banned. At times the software would block entire areas of cities. After a 5 week hospital stay in late 2005, I came home to a stack of emails from people who had been banned for no reason. Somehow, someone had managed to block the whole city of calgary because of one Troll! Shortly after that, Radio West came to life in early 2006.

There was a spell where we had a few characters that managed to piss off a few people, but for the most part, it was somewhat entertaining.

It's been quite awhile since we've had to ban anybody, I hope it stays that way.

Most stick with the membership agreement and "Do Unto Others" .... no need for us to sit around a campfire singing "Kumbaya" yet!

Thanks to all who have supported Radio West for the past almost 9 years!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 pm

I see a board administrator as someone trying to herd cats
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-moj-2AwG0UU/U ... 0/cats.jpg
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am

Being a rather new person here, all I've seen is professional people behaving...well! It's a pleasure to check out this board everyday. Please keep up the great work and posts!
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Actually, the "Do unto others "- thingy was first attributed to that really smart guy from China, and let's give it up for..... Confucius!!!
So, there is no need to have it confiscated or convoluted by the bible. That just confuses the locals. :tshirt:
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News