wevotecbc.ca Lawn Signs are Popping Up

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

wevotecbc.ca Lawn Signs are Popping Up

Postby jon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 am

The Friends of Canadian Broadcasting are trying to be a force in the upcoming Federal Election. They have been interviewing federal leaders, asking about their plans for CBC funding.

The web site http://wevotecbc.ca has the videos of those interviews, tells you how to sign their petition, and lets you order their lawn sign.

They don't seem to be interested in interviewing the Conservatives, instead dedicating part of a sidebar to this entry:
Harper’s attacks on the CBC followed this promise repeated one day after the last election:
“We believe in the national public broadcaster. We have said that we will maintain or increase support for the CBC. That is our platform and we have said that before and we will commit to that.” James Moore, then Minister of Canadian Heritage - May 3, 2011

I first saw a lawn sign here in Edmonton on Monday.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: wevotecbc.ca Lawn Signs are Popping Up

Postby Dave L » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 pm

jon wrote:They don't seem to be interested in interviewing the Conservatives

I'm not suggesting that's proper, but...

Not all, yet many conservatives view the CBC, or any other public broadcasting network as an indoctrinating left-winged conspiracy theory and little else.

Likewise, others rhetorically claim the CBC must stand on it's own in a commercial marketplace, irrespective of the Canada Broadcasting Act.

Cutting funding is laid upon the government of the day, irrespective of ideology. It just happens to be conservatives at the moment. To suggest liberals wouldn't has no credibility either. However, cutting it entirely would certainly stink of a conservative conspiracy.

Allocating a tiny slice of an otherwise larger band to satisfy the CBA, PBNs and the state broadcaster are intended to be "parks" of an otherwise commercially predominate market, where any viewpoint may be expressed with equal access with the purpose of building up the country on the whole, in the absence of crass commercialization. In all honesty, I'd rather listen (or not listen) to nonsense I don't agree with (after all, it is a viewpoint for my information), than Alarm Force ads every 5 minutes. Nowadays, there's more ads than actual spoken content on most commercial stations, no less stale music formats. Excepting talk formats, of course. Even then, rebroadcasting is considerable.

With parks gone, where can one find repose as an alternative without being forced to pay directly? Sure, we pay for parks indirectly, like the CBC. Hence the "I don't want that with my tax dollars" argument is in self interest only and makes no concession for those who appreciate the service or Canadians at large. Especially in remote communities, where options are minimal.

Lines cannot be drawn on every issue as to conservative or liberal values in every instance and just because someone says so. Likewise I'm not convinced that commercial sponsors won't pressure producers in their own self interest any less than the public servants at large would either. At the very least, public servants are expected to have some accountability and the CBC needs some improvement there, for sure. The Jian Ghomeshi scandal certainly brought that to light.

Everything cannot be for everyone all the time.

Love it or hate it. The CBC is going to be around for a very long time.

That's my 2 MHz on the matter. Happy Canada Day, my friends :salute:
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News