Bruce Allen's Reality Check

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun May 07, 2006 11:37 pm

Last time I checked, Bruce Allen was still a part owner of Richard's on Richard in Vancouver.

Since he likes to blather on about local issues on his CKNW Reality Check program, I'm wondering if he will have anything to say about the double shooting that occurred at the club over the weekend.

He doesn't seem to have a problem finding things to complain about, I'm curious as to what his opinion would be about some young thugs putting a couple of his customers in the hospital and shooting up his watering hole?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 08, 2006 9:26 am

A couple of shootings gives the joint that gangster edge the kids are looking for these days. Besides there is no such thing as bad publicity. I didn't even know that Dicks on Dicks was still in business, thought they had knocked it down and built condos. Bruce lives on a different planet than the rest of us. The last time I heard his "reality check" he raved on for five minutes about how when you buy bottled water at GM Place they don't give you a cap. This outrageous transgression had Brucie popping a head valve to the point where I thought he was going to go down to the Garage and throttle the guy that sold it to him. Any suggestions for other worthwhile topics for Bruce to explore?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 am

The other day somebody mentioned that Dick's on Dicks had been sold and was going to be bulldozed and a new tower will be built on the site...similar to what happened next door at 1006, once the proud home of CKLG and CFOX.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon May 08, 2006 10:36 am

radiofan wrote:The other day somebody mentioned that Dick's on Dicks had been sold and was going to be bulldozed and a new tower will be built on the site.

Yes, that's true. But until they actually tear down the building, Bruce and his buddies are apparently renting it out on a per/event basis to independent promoters who want to stage rap shows, gang fights, etc.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 am

It doesn't matter if you like what he says or not or whether he's taking the broad view of things, at least he's one voice who's permitted to speak his mind.
Not much of that left on radio these days.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:It doesn't matter if you like what he says or not or whether he's taking the broad view of things, at least he's one voice who's permitted to speak his mind.

No disagreement with you on that point Mike.

Allen can and does speak his mind.

My own interest in his daily over-the-top rant is purely for its comic value.

I never fail to have a laugh at the mundane topics that he chooses to rail against.

Hilarious, to say the least.

I just wish that 'NW would hire someone with actual journalism credentials to fill this time.

You get what you pay for.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Broad view? Allen bitching from his Canuck club seats at 10 grand a season about the lack of a cap on his five dollar bottle of water? Allen doesn't live in the real world and it is embarrassing to listen to him pretending that he is just "a regular guy". The decision to let him do an editorial was a joke in the first place and his dismal performance just confirms it.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Fri May 12, 2006 8:22 pm

Bruce themed his rant yesterday on Richards on Richards, indicating that he was no longer in ownership and that the same kind of punks they worked to keep out of the place when it had some class (remember Steve Martin's scene in Roxanne?) are now the ones on stage.
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News