Radio Streaming Wars

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Radio Streaming Wars

Postby jon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

iHeartRadio is now in Canada. Bell Media made the announcement that access to hundreds of its stations was available as of Oct. 10. The digital radio service is free on iOS and Android apps. Available stations include Virgin Radio, TSN Radio and news/talk stations. iHeartRadio Canada also announced the inaugural iHeartRadio Canada Jingle Ball, on Nov. 25 at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre featuring The Weeknd, The Chainsmokers, Alessia Cara, Hedley and more acts to be announced. Bell Media entered into an exclusive partnership with iHeartMedia earlier this year.

Corus Radio has paired up with Apple Music to stream seven of its news talk stations across Canada for free. The offerings include CKNW AM 980 Vancouver, News Talk 770 (CHQR) Calgary, 630 CHED Edmonton, 680 CJOB Winnipeg, AM 980 (CFPL) London, AM 900 CHML Hamilton and AM 640 (CFMJ) Toronto. Corus is the first commercial radio company in Canada to stream with Apple Music via iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV and Apple Carplay.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Radio Streaming Wars

Postby serrebi » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 am

Radio armchair opinion incoming! iHeart Canada seems DOA to me, I'm using American iHeartRadio: Only registration/login is regionally restricted. CKNW has their 64kbps stream on Apple Music: Nice I think. Belll should have put their local stations in both iHeart apps, or at least all the internet hd2 in one market streams should have been brought over instead of just some... Also I can't help but mention here, the American version of iHeartradio is like a totally different app as well, with accessibility thought of. So many unlabeled buttons in this thing.
serrebi

Re: Radio Streaming Wars

Postby Coolcat » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 pm

I find the Simple Radio app provides a good selection of stations for streaming to a phone from most stations around the world.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News