The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart McLean suspends show...

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart McLean suspends show...

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:05 pm

The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart McLean suspends show to focus on cancer treatment
Radio show host was diagnosed with melanoma about a year ago
The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 13, 2016 2:13 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 13, 2016 3:36 PM ET

The Vinyl Cafe host and writer Stuart McLean is suspending his popular radio show to focus on his cancer treatment.
In a post on his website, the bestselling author, journalist and humorist says that he had figured treatment would be "swift" when he was diagnosed with melanoma, a skin cancer, a year ago.

THE VINYL CAFE | A message from Stuart McLean

However, McLean says that his first round of immunotherapy treatment last winter was not completely successful, so he'll undergo another round in the new year.
"What can I say … things don't always go exactly as planned," he wrote.

Rather than air repeats of his program — which features stories, essays and music — McLean says he will instead step aside to make room for others to share their work.
The idea is to allow McLean to focus on his health, according to Vinyl Cafe producer Jess Milton, who added that the whole team has been touched by the outpouring of love and support for him.

https://youtu.be/6f3Jo9xoI5w

As of January, there will be no new episodes of The Vinyl Cafe on CBC Radio, Sirius XM satellite radio or podcasts. U.S. public radio stations will air Vinyl Cafe Stories episodes until the end of February.
The show's stories centre on Dave, the owner of a second-hand record store, and also feature Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and various friends and neighbours.

"Along with Stuart's many fans from across the country, all of his colleagues at CBC are thinking of him and wishing him well as he focuses on his health," said CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson. 
He added that the CBC winter schedule will be released in the coming days, which will include the programming that will take over The Vinyl Cafe's slot in January.

"I don't want you to worry about me. A year ago I told you that I expected this to be just a bump in the road, not the end of the road. I still believe that to be true. I hope we will meet up again — on the radio or in theatres. We'll make sure to tell you before that happens," McLean wrote.

"In the meantime, look after yourselves and each other. And know that this isn't goodbye. It's just … so long for now." 

https://youtu.be/zww8E1mXBAo

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/st ... -1.3894636
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: The Vinyl Cafe's Stuart McLean suspends show...

Postby bigbry » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:38 pm

I really wish him well. Mr McLean has one of the great narration styles that Canada needs.
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News