CBC's Stuart McLean passes at 68

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby SKradiophile » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Just verified on numerous sites-CBC radio host Stuart McLean has died.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:41 pm

The CBC site has this:
Breaking Stuart McLean, CBC radio host and humorist, dead at 68

Stuart McLean, the host of CBC Radio's The Vinyl Café and an award-winning humorist, has died at age 68 after a battle with melanoma.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CBC's Stuart McLean passes at 68

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Stuart McLean, CBC Radio host and award-winning humorist, dead at 68
McLean revealed in November 2015 he'd been diagnosed with melanoma
By Deana Sumanac-Johnson, Jessica Wong, CBC News Posted: Feb 15, 2017 5:13 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 15, 2017 5:56 PM ET

Stuart McLean, the host of CBC Radio's The Vinyl Café and an award-winning humorist, has died at age 68 after a battle with melanoma.

McLean's trademark blend of storytelling — part nostalgia, part pithy observations about everyday life — and folksy, familiar delivery made him a hit with audiences for more than 20 years. But he always maintained that success came as a surprise to him.

He laughingly recalled how his mother, accosted by a fan after one of his live performances of The Vinyl Café, said she never expected McLean to become famous.

"I didn't really expect myself to amount to very much either," he told CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight in 2012. "I was intimidated by the brains and the athletes all around me and just didn't think I measured up."

But listeners disagreed. By the late 1970s and early 1980s, McLean was a regular presence on CBC Radio, where his mischievous sense of humour made him a regular contributor and a guest host on Morningside with Peter Gzowski.

During one memorable episode, McLean released a live cricket inside the studio, prompting him and Gzowski to erupt in fits of laughter that lasted for much of the episode. He repeated the stunt as Gzowski was about to retire, but with a cockroach.

Traditional radio it was not, but it had warmth and human connection — something that would become McLean's trademark for decades to come.

'Outsider' finds his calling

Andrew Stuart McLean, the eldest of three children, was born and raised in Montreal West, a suburb of Montreal with a small-town feel.

He attended nearby Lower Canada College, an elite private school where, as a shy teenager, McLean professed to feeling like an "outsider" from "the jocks and the brains." He went on to attend Sir George Williams University (now Concordia University).

After graduating with a bachelor's degree, McLean took a job working in the student services department of Dawson College. Through a work contact, he landed a gig as campaign manager for journalist-turned-politician Nick Auf der Maur in his first bid for Montreal city council.

Read more at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/st ... -1.3984826
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News